Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, October 8, 2010

Wassail!

Very good condition. 5-speed manual transmission. 159,000 miles. 2009 radio with AUX jack. Dog-friendly (poodle shown inside car in photo isn't included, however).

I told a friend this morning that my wife and I had had good luck selling our 1992 Volvo through Craigslist. "I posted the ad Tuesday afternoon, and we accepted a $200 deposit yesterday."
    "It wasn't luck," my friend said.
    "Oh, then what was it?"
    "The divine mercy of God."
    Thank you very much!
    She said that if I was killed in an automobile crash, that too would be the divine mercy of God.
    Thank you very much indeed!

"This fear of things invisible, is the natural seed of...religion." –Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan, 1651.

Word of the Day from dictionary.com:
wassail \WAH-sul; wah-SAYL\, noun:
  1. An expression of good wishes on a festive occasion, especially in drinking to someone.
  2. An occasion on which such good wishes are expressed in drinking; a drinking bout; a carouse.
  3. The liquor used for a wassail; especially, a beverage formerly much used in England at Christmas and other festivals, made of ale (or wine) flavored with spices, sugar, toast, roasted apples, etc.
Wassail is from the Middle English expression of festive benevolence, wæs hæil!, be well!, from Old Norse ves heill, be (ves) well (heill).
Wassail! As in "Good luck" or "May your deity richly bless you and kill you in a car crash today only if 'he' really thinks that's what you most need."
    Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. This always drove me crazy about my ex SIL and BIL... I guess my BIL was looking for a new job and so they were praying about it and all I could think was maybe they should put the effort into looking, networking, applying... a job is not going to fall in your lap just because you PRAYED about it... but of course since whatever happens is "all part of god's plan" you couldn't fault yourself for not trying hard enough, or parying hard enough, since everything that happens is MEANT TO BE. What a cop out... I guess it is too scary to admit that there is no plan behind the universe and soldiers getting blown up by roadside bombs or the 9/11 attacks or whatever is simply awful shit that happens and there is no benevolent God up on high controlling it all... shit... just... happens... like some people simply won't give up their belief in some almighty figure! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (When I lived in the South around all the bible thumpers) I loved to tell people that if everything happened for a reason, it is all part of God's plan, etc, why do they keep trying to get me to accept Jesus as my personal savior? Couldn't they accept maybe God WANTS a few atheists? Isn't it all PART OF GOD'S PLAN? If their God WANTED me to believe in him, WOULDN'T I? I loved to see their eyes bulge out thinking about THAT!!!

    ReplyDelete