Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Are you being escheated?

If I needed to kill a few minutes, I might extract a folded newspaper page from a pants pocket and try to deduce a few more numbers in a Sudoku. But my daughter recently went searching on California's escheat1 page instead. More profitable.
    She discovered that the State owes her husband $80 and her maternal aunt $40.
    Don't just conclude that I'm really scraping to find something to blog about. Regard this as a public service announcement: How much does your state government owe you?
    Or other states you've lived in? My daughter writes:
I then checked out the state controller's office of every state I've ever lived in and searched their similar databases. I just googled "[state] controllers office unclaimed property"; they all have these databases. A bunch of states are all on one together—missingmoney.com. You can search all participating states at once. It gives a drop-down list and you can see which states participate.
    Nobody owes me any money, unfortunately....
_______________
  1. One of the country song hits of Hank Williams (1923-1953) was "Your Cheatin' Heart." Escheating, of course, has nothing to do with love. Escheat is the reversion of property, and to escheat is to cause to revert by escheat. Could that be clearer?

No comments:

Post a Comment