Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Work imagined in progress

Software for
writing screenplays
Moristotle is contemplating retiring from his retirement job (forty hours a week for the University of North Carolina) in a few months. While he looks forward to being able to spend more time blogging, he wonders whether he might enjoy a larger writing project, such as a novel or a screenplay—assuming that his brain hasn't deteriorated too much to keep in mind all that writing a novel or a screenplay entails.
    He has already concluded that if he undertakes a larger project, it'll be a screenplay, simply because he knows less about screen writing and would likely learn more from it than from writing another novel1.
    He had begun, idly, to wonder what he might write about, realizing that it should be something that he cared enough about to become "passionate" over.
    This morning, while heating water for coffee and ruminating over the morality of eating animal flesh when a host serves it to him, he thought of a screenplay about someone (or some group) that tries to do more for animal rights than just becoming a vegetarian or vegan (especially if mostly a "philosophical" one)....
_______________
  1. In 1974, in one hundred days, he wrote The Unmaking of the President: A Bicentennial Entertainment. Alas, it never found a publisher.

2 comments:

  1. I would guess you would need to decide if you were looking for a cause to champion or perhaps to make a few dollars. I say, go for the Fame and Riches. A good thriller is always in demand. Animal rights is a worthy cause, but I doubt there would be much interest in it. What the hell do I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, Steve, fame and riches are such long shots, I don't think I'll "waste" my time on them. I just need a topic that can fuel my writing. Same as I don't read a thriller "passionately," I don't think I could write one passionately either.

    ReplyDelete