Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Fourth Saturday's Loneliest Liberal: It's the process

...not the product

By James Knudsen

Math is a funny thing. I have to look at it with a sense of humor to keep from crying. My grandfather, Dr. Vern Oliver Knudsen, PhD in physics, understood math. My father, Vern Oliver Morris Knudsen, BA in Greek, understood math to a lesser degree, but still well enough to negotiate the usual hurdles en route to his diploma. Not so me. The only reason I am able to put two diplomas on the wall...assuming I can find them, is because I discovered a loop-hole I could wriggle through in the form of Philosophy 9, Logic and Reasoning.
    The point of all this is that comprehension of higher math always eluded me. For the most part I've made peace with it. But I'm aware of the career paths that were shut off to me. The gear-head part of me might have enjoyed engineering the next Columbo V-12. And the scientist part of me would still like to spend a year observing the resurgent hawks of my hometown region. But being insufferably dense regarding algebra means I never pursued a degree in biology, and it wasn't a hawk I found in the yard last month.

My sister Morissa, prior to departing the San Joaquin Valley for the cooler climes of Puget Sound, planted a tomato plant in the front patio. Presently it is laden with fruit ranging from pale green to deep red. It has also been laden with the larvae of the Sphinx moth. If you're not familiar with the Sphinx moth larva, also known as the horned tomato worm, allow me to elaborate. They're HUGE.
    Well, not initially, when first hatched they are quite small and fast. I didn't realize this until I tried to remove one from the plant with kitchen shears. But soon they grow to a size that, while not huge, is enough to slow them down enough to make them easy to pluck from the plant. And still later they become the slow, ponderous, vegetation-processing machines that give one a start when they are found.
    It was one these that I found contentedly munching away on the delicate tomato leaves a few weeks ago. I surmised that given its size it had done most of the damage it was going to do already and that it was nearing the point when it would pupate. The thought of observing this was reason enough to spare it. I clipped the branch it was consuming along with some other branches, placed them in a large jar, covered it with a colander, and placed it on the kitchen counter. And I learned some things: Tomato worms are poop factories. It is extraordinary how much stuff they excrete. Perhaps I should revise that to Industrial Poop Combines. Within hours the bottom of the jar was littered with several clumps of green waste, and it didn't stop.
    This thing was not done eating. In addition to the branch it was on, I placed several leafy sprigs of tomato plant in the jar, just in case. Within a day or two they had been stripped bare. I was unaware of some important facts regarding Sphinx Ligustri. The tomato worm has some things to teach us.
    Along with the sprigs of tomato leaves, I had put some water in the bottom of the jar. I did this to keep the leaves from wilting. It was a bad idea because the caterpillar devoured the leaves so fast they didn't have time to wilt. And a tomato worm will do anything, go anywhere for a meal. Even headlong into a pool of water, which is where I found the beast when I returned after many hours away. I've learned some biological facts since that might explain this behavior. The first is that unlike other similar creatures, the Sphinx Moth does not spin its cocoon in the branches of its host plant but descends and pupates beneath the ground. It could also be that the caterpillar was employing the spiracles along its body to keep breathing even while its head was submerged in fetid water. But none of that occurred to me when I discovered it. All I could think was, Why?
    Why keep eating? It was big when I put it in the jar and it had only grown larger after devouring the leaves I'd provided. What madness, to consume and devour without thought, without knowing why. To continue in an endless quest for food. To live to eat and not the other way around. How big do you need to be to pupate anyway? I began to wonder how many pursue an endeavor without knowing, without ever thinking about the why, and then one day they're under water. The would-be moth seemed pathetic.
    A higher life form is cognizant of its future. It stands tall, eyes on the horizon, aware of its surroundings, firm in its beliefs, and steadfast in the pursuit of victory. That sounds so good in my head recited in the commanding tones of John Facenda, voice of NFL films. But I know it’s crap. I remembered Henry V as he stood alone in the night, the weight of crown upon his head and kingdom upon his shoulders, pondering the idea that the lowliest of his subjects enjoyed a better lot than he.

...Not all these, laid in bed majestical,
Can sleep so soundly as the wretched slave,
Who with a body fill'd and vacant mind
Gets him to rest, cramm'd with distressful bread;
Never sees horrid night, the child of hell,
But, like a lackey, from the rise to set
Sweats in the eye of Phoebus and all night
Sleeps in Elysium; next day after dawn,
Doth rise and help Hyperion to his horse,
And follows so the ever-running year,
With profitable labour, to his grave....
    I chided my caterpillar sensei when I found him submerged in water, clinging to a branch. But I was reminded of the guiding principle of my graduate studies: It is the process, not the product that must be our focus. For it is in doing that we find purpose. It's a concept with which I once again wrestle. Even now I have written the last line of this piece before I have arrived at it. And so I can rush to spin my chrysalis and emerge incomplete, unsatisfied. Or, I can try to munch away at my task. Gnawing away, letter by letter, syllable by syllable, word by word, phrase by phrase, sentence by sentence, paragraph by paragraph.
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by James Knudsen

Please comment

18 comments:

  1. That went well with my coffee James. You forgot one very important fact however. They are damn hard to get rid of. When you think they are gone a few days later you find another rolled up leaf.(smile)

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, we've seen these (I think they're the same) here in Mebane, North Carolina, on our honeysuckle.
        I have it on the authority of a visit your father made to us in Chapel Hill in 1990 that he had that Bachelor of Arts degree conferred on him in Chapel Hill, from the University of North Carolina, in 1950—he was on campus the summer he visited us for his fortieth class reunion.
        And I believe that he double-majored, in Latin as well as Greek. When you confirm that, I'll update the text of today's column.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I might have added that it was only six years after your father graduated from UNC that I sat in his Latin I class in Tulare, California and met one of the very most memorable human beings I have ever met. What an encourager of the human spirit! What style, what humor, what learning, what honesty! So many who passed through Tulare's Union High School remember your father with profound gratitude.

      Delete
  3. YUP, Hate those big greenies, this time i found a small one and immediately went "defcon 2", sprayed CHEMICALs..yes some californians dont do organic (shhh) and have not seen another..but then one of my 3 tomato plants got blossom rot, so now i'm also supplementing with liquid calcium("2-6 TBL, 4-12 times "...wow, thatsd definitive)..i am not a grower i've decided..merely a consumer and i will simply continue to buy Heirloom (otherwise known as "tomatoes that taste REALLY LIKE tomatoes") at the Farmers market..sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, what a wonderful piece of prose! Einstein may or may not have been impressed, but it would surely capture Thoreau's attention.

    Your "poop factory" description reminded me of an ill-fated multi-day hiking and camping trip a couple of us attempted in an area we did not know was under siege by gypsy moth caterpillars. Because the days and miles were long we cut weight by traveling without a tent. Which meant at night we found ourselves sleeping beneath oak trees with their leaves being devoured ravenously by hundreds of hungry mouths, with what was left over being quickly passed out the other end and rained down upon us. Listening to debris hit all around was bad enough, waking to find oneself spattered by it was unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morris, I haven't been able to confirm Dad's degree(s). I've always felt that received the last classic, liberal arts education. Nowadays everyone learns more and more about less and less, myself included.
    Given all the stuff that I've inhaled, accidentally and deliberately, it's a miracle that I still get any brain cells to link up and then they're a little slow. But I finally got the pun of the headline, product... poop.
    Motomynd, I have no equal to the gypsy moth story. The closest is when a marmot tried to make off with my friends daypack at dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A marmot tried to steal a pack? Isn't a marmot basically a western version of what we call a groundhog here in the East? You HAVE to tell us more about that! Was it after a Marmot brand pack?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon Stoner commented on Facebook:

    I paid the neighborhood kids 10¢ for every worm they brought and put in a coffee can half filed with water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Claire Donahue said there was a word she needed to look up. I asked her, "'Sensei,' perhaps?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Moto- daypack. John was under his rainfly, which was serving as his tent. It was light out, but we were still in the shadow of the mountain to the east. And definitely a marmot. Aside from us, the biggest land vertebrate in our alpine setting. Google Lake 11393, Dusy Basin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Paul, by way of email:

    What a beautiful area! I found this post http://calitrails.com/2012/06/22/south-lake-to-bishop-pass-disappointment-at-dusy-basin/ with some very good photos. Apparently marmots are much bolder there than in some areas. You may have been lucky to retain possession of the day pack.
        A question about the number: 11393. Are the lakes in the region numbered? Or does it relate to altitude or a geo-tag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in that area many years ago, by a strange route. We went in from Bishop, stopped to try Mt. Humphries(?). (5.3 rock covered with early season snow. No go.) Then over Alpine Col (huge, dangerous boulders) to Evolution Basin, over Muir Pass to LeConte Canyon, up into Dusy Basin, and out over Palisade Pass. We did it late in the season, and found traffic only in Dusy. Very cool country. Wish I'd seen it before it had been trampled.

      The character of marmots is as advertised. They've cost my wife her pack harness, and me a water bottle and an ice axe cover. One even chased me, up in Missouri Basin, CO.

      Just got back from the Wallowa and the San Juan Mountains. I saw a lot of new, beautiful wilderness.

      Delete
    2. Chuck, thank you for word of your return, especially from beloved wilderness. Your absence did not go unnoticed, nor fail to prompt the wonder, Might he to wilderness have gone?

      Delete
  11. Chuck, were you by any chance near Telluride or Silverton? Or do you have any report what they are like these days? I saw them when they were places of drug-money-fueled hyper-inflation, and when they crashed toward ghost town status due to DEA crackdowns and other law enforcement efforts. I often wonder how things have played out there the past couple of decades. Have they thrived, survived, or gone the way of so many other boom-and-bust towns of times past?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was camped with the Colorado Mountain Club at Ridgeway State Park. We hired a caterer to over-feed us while we hiked around the northern San Juans.

      The area lives mainly on tourism, of course. The big axis is the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. This draws many tourons to Durango, which houses and feeds them, then ships them up to Silverton for half a day.
      For the few hours the train is in, Silverton is fat America in gift shops. The rest of the time it is a laid-back place where drug-dealing is highly imaginable. There is also a microscopic alpine ski area; one lift, one snow cat, one shack next to the lift. They specialize in big powder for big bucks. It's also a hub for climbers and hikers using the railroad for access to the Needle Mountains and the Grenadiers. We're spare change.
      I haven't been to Telluride recently, but the ski area (and, alas, its real estate) seem to be doing reasonably well. It probably has the only winter economy in the region.
      I also drank beer in Ouray, which is a tourist trap, and Ridgeway, which is evolving into a Moab/Boulder sort of place. Yuppie playground.
      Lake City is overwhelmed with Texans on ATVs during the summer, and disappears in the winter.
      The only drug scenes in the mountains that I'm personally aware of are Aspen (coke) and Paonia. (Weed. What on earth will they do now it's legal?)

      Delete
  12. Chuck, how times change. I remember mountain biking in the Telluride area in the '80s, there was some craziness about trying to discourage tourists by banning cars and insist people walk or take horse carts, or something like that. Real estate was booming and people were rolling in money, yet few seemed to do much work. It was a mystery. A mystery solved by a major DEA action that, as I recall, revealed more than half the economy was based in illegal drug trafficking. The year after all that came down you could have bought property there for pennies on the dollar.

    Here is a quote from Wikipedia that aptly describes those times: "During the 1980s, Telluride developed a reputation for being "Colorado's best kept secret", which paradoxically made it one of the more well-known resort communities. Wealthy skiers flocked to the world-class mountain all winter, and sightseers kept hotel rooms full all summer. In the 1980s, Telluride also became notorious in the drug counterculture for being a drop point for Mexican smugglers and a favorite place for wealthy importers to enjoy some downtime. The town was even featured in the hit song by Glenn Frey from Miami Vice, "Smugglers Blues". For a while the modern Telluride was living up to its Wild West history. This type of attention, as it turned out, was just what the town needed to differentiate it from Aspen. The festivals combined with Telluride's bad-boy town image attracted celebrities like Tom Cruise, Oprah Winfrey, and Oliver Stone."

    I would not be surprised if legal recreational drug use could emerge as the single greatest threat to the economy of the region even today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm mostly oblivious to such matters. I've skied there maybe three times in the last 40 years, and can say only that 1) The skiing is really steep, 2) The scenery is great, 3) They've kept most of the tacky condo development on the other side of the mountain, and mostly kept the town looking like a Victorian mining town - or at least the Disney equivalent.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the dope. Ski bums have always mostly been stoners, and maybe legal weed will bring in even more Texans. The real threat to the economy of the region are, short term, the instability of the tourist industry; long term, that the area is right on the southern fringe of the ski belt. A bit warmer climate, and the ski areas go bust. A little drier, and it gets a lot worse. At least the Telluride Film Festival seems to bring in lots of money.

    ReplyDelete