Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tuesday Voice: Missionary Kid

Yellow wicker chair

By Vic Midyett

Our home, when I was a kid in India with my missionary parents, had a screened-in veranda almost three quarters of the way around – every side but the one the kitchen was on, which was the cliff and tree side.
    The veranda was quite wide too, 8-10 feet, and screened in from floor to roof with the very minimum of wood framing.

    Between the ages of 5 and 8, I would sit in my little yellow wicker chair as close up to the back corner as I could push it, where the veranda met the cement wall of the house and a door going into the kitchen.
    On the ground outside the veranda was our tin trash can. Animals of all sorts would come to check it out. It was guaranteed I would see at least one jackal. There were also bobcats, skunks, and mongooses. 

    One night, or early morning before the sunrise, I was sitting there and a black leopard came up. As the trash can was only 10 feet away from me, with only the fly screen between us, I can tell you I sat completely motionless trying not to pee my pants. I may have.
    The leopard looked in my direction, sniffed the air for a minute or so, and just walked away.
    I think I gave up nocturnal observation of our trash can after that. And I never told my parents about it until after we moved to Australia, 15 years later.
    If the leopard hadn’t killed me, they sure would have!
_______________
Copyright © 2014 by Vic Midyett

Comment box is located below

8 comments:

  1. Thank you, Australian Vic Midyett, for another of your delightful stories of your childhood in Bangaladesh, this one recounting your brush with violent death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome, Morris. My pleasure.
    Vic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got around to reading this Vic. I think as kids we have all had that "oh shit" moment. It's always nice to live through them---they make a good story as was your's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gave me a bit of a chuckle mate
    Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think it was wise choice to not tell your parents about this until years down the road. Knowing my Aunt and Uncle like I remember, I do not think they would have been really happy about your night viewing of wild life. Love Ya Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind comments. It was a good time in my life. The book will have many more stories.
    Vic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vic, maybe write a "Tuesday Voice" piece about the book, how it came about, who's working on it, what it will contain besides your stories, a short sketch of your parents lives, a summary of their contributions as missionaries, that sort of thing? What do you think?

      Delete