Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Fourth Sunday through Tom's Looking Glass

From the trenches of social change

By Tom Lowe

[Editor's Note: We are pleased to inaugurate a new monthly column featuring the photographs of Contributing Editor Tom Lowe.]

These photos from 2006 are from my involvement in the San Francisco Bay Area communities – social, political, and creative – I worked with that year. Basically, I shoot what catches my eye, people who bring passion and commitment to helping their fellows.
    This was my first experience with a DSLR camera, most of my earlier work had been 35mm black and white film. I surprised myself in finding that I had a sense of how to use color descriptively. I also surprised myself, when I reviewed the year’s work, to find that the photos that I cared about were primarily portraits, rather than the usual “art photography.”
    Some images from the trenches of social change:

Health conference, Laney College, Oakland, CA

Immigration demonstration, San Francisco, CA

Sally Hindman and Sylvia (her adopted Rom daughter),
San Francisco Housing demonstration

Father Louie Vitale, at the same demonstration

Dancer, World Music Festival, Berkeley, CA
(Yes, she has both feet off the stage.)

Vivian and Jas, Alameda County Community Food Bank
(The photo behind them is by David Bacon.)

Copyright © 2014 by Tom Lowe

4 comments:

  1. Tom, when the column name's phrase, "looking glass" as a metaphor for your camera's LENS, suggested itself (or something suggested it), your inset photo of yourself – involving a literal looking glass – hadn't even occurred to me (unless unconsciouisly). It was a special treat to finally, consciously connect the phrase with your self-portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of emotion captured in your pictures---super neat!

    ReplyDelete