Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thor's Day: A poem from the heart

Fetus

By Felicia Zapata Finnegan










They claim that I'm just a ball of blood
without any shape or form
they called me by the name of fetus
cause I'm not yet a human formed


My life hangs by a string
attached to my would-be mom
she gives me the nourishment I need
until the day I'm born

Though it may be dark in here
and my eyes can't see
I could feel and I could cry
from the time I was conceived

I know her every move
she's careful just for me
she feels like a good mommy
I can't hardly wait to see

I know that when I'm born
her soul will bond with me
I know that she will make me
her first priority

I love my mommy very much
I know that she loves me
she'll never put herself first
without thinking first of me

[Editor's Note: In checking out a Facebook post by Blog Talk Radio show host Michelle Finnegan and happening to visit the wall of a friend they have in common, the author stumbled on a link to Kyle Garza's column published here last week ("Autonomy and altruism") and realized she had a poem to offer us to augment our discussion of the ethics of abortion.]


Copyright © 2015 by Felicia Zapata Finnegan
Ms. Finnegan was born in Puerto Rico and lives in Southern California. She considers herself a feature writer, and writes from the heart. She also paints and takes photographs to make T-shirt designs and refrigerator magnets for sale.

6 comments:

  1. An Unborn Hallmark Moment
    (or since when does rhyme trump reason?)
    by Bob Boldt

    Some call me person
    although I’m just a mote.
    A Kansas politician
    Wants to give me the right to vote.

    My grandpa raped my mama.
    He said it was his right.
    It’s she who now must bear me
    to satisfy his delight.

    Folks had better show some reason
    or women will have to morn.
    The right of the bearer
    Must trump the rights of the unborn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You asked since when does rhyme trump reason In my opinion since words became tools of understanding of self expression.

      Change your tune!
      The people of this world think evil does abound
      They would have you believe
      No good can be found
      Unhappiness and tragedy is the message that they bring
      It's obvious to me, at least they don't know my king!
      There was a time in my life, I believed it too
      Running scared searching for love
      Nothing I could not do
      Now I find that life is lovely everywhere I look
      The change in my eyes came from God
      His love was all it took!!!

      Delete
  2. Ah, dueling poems----it doesn't get any better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, but what about a trio, then, Mr. Poet Ed?
      Have you no verse to say upon this loaded thread?

      Delete
  3. In a war of words dealing with religion any voice of reason is far too quickly beaten to a pulp.

    So I set back, smile, open a can and take a big gulp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "And then as I end the refrain, thrust home!"

    Savinien de Cyrano de Bergerac (6 March 1619 – 28 July 1655)

    ReplyDelete