Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Eleven Years Ago Today: The Sadness of the Food Chain

From ChinaDaily
By Moristotle

[Originally published on December 28, 2006, without the image added today, purportedly a photo (dated December 15, 2011) of dogs being saved from slaughter in China.]

My “dogs” post of yesterday [December 27, 2006] can be interpreted as expressing a great sadness. And I have to admit I wrote it in a solemn mood. But meditating on the food chain (how animals are violently killed and eaten by bigger or stronger ones) can bring on sadness. Every time I eat flesh I feel sad for the mammal, fowl, or fish that was once alive to enjoy being alive – or not to enjoy it much, if it was raised in a cage only to be slaughtered. In fact, I guess, we are in a sense all in a cage by virtue of the apparent fact that being alive today means we will die tomorrow.
    “Creation” includes both pain, violence, suffering, death...and pleasure, gentleness, joy, life, however brief. I don’t mind being sad about this, actually. I think that’s preferable to a careless quest for laughs, thrills, distractions.
    Good on all who read this, to overrunning cup.


Copyright © 2017 by Moristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment