Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Sweater Weather (a poem)


By Ralph Earle

[First published in The Way the Rain Works (Sable Books, 2015) and republished here by permission of the author.]




She had a flair for choosing
clothes that made me look good but
that winter after she moved out


I craved sleet and darkness. I carried
into the twilight every Christmas
sweater she had given me, fastening

the cardigan with blue argyle to a
limb, then turning through the trees
to my task, ice cascading on the last

leaves, the soft purple pullover
on a sapling, the loose-knitted
wistful-looking one hung on a vine.

In the morning on the sparkling hillside
the sweaters blazed in their icy
sheathes like phantoms of clothing

we will wear in the other world.
Three nights I waited. Then,
ghosts having fled, I gathered

the moonlit flock, the forsaken ones.
They shivered in my embrace
and rubbed against me, awakening.


Copyright © 2018 by Ralph Earle

1 comment:

  1. Another poem pregnant with meaning from poet master Ralph Earle, with another antique allusion, perhaps, in those THREE nights of waiting for the GHOSTS to flee?

    ReplyDelete