Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Six Years Ago Today: Retired to turf-turding

By Moristotle

[Originally published on May 1, 2012, which means I’ve been retired a year longer than I was thinking I was. Time goes by quick when you’re having fun?]

Post-retirement employment wasn’t long to seek. My wife and I agree that May is our month to aerate our Bermuda grass lawn, and I started the job today, using my Hound Dog Coring Aerator1, bought in anticipation months ago at Lowe’s Home Improvement, Mebane.
    The little reddish cylinders are the cores of clay pushed up when I stepped down on the aerator. “Cores”? They’re turds! And I didn’t spend two and a half hours today aerating a small section of lawn, I was turf-turding.
A healthy bag of turf turds
    When you do your own turf-turding, if you have a boss who doesn’t respect you and is no more your friend than the white ladies in the movie The Help (see my April 1st [2012] post), you can daydream about serving your boss a pie like the one Minny baked for Miss Hilly.
    Or if you very recently retired from such a boss....
_______________



Copyright © 2018 by Moristotle

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha.. I've never heard of "turf turding" in Australia. I like it! Ain't a sense of humor a grand thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a super congratulations to you mile stone of six years. You certainly haven't "let any grass grow under your feet". Or have you? ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe more weeds than grass. I’ve spent hours in the past few weeks pulling them up, but new ones come, seems like the next day, to replace them.

      Delete
  3. I wrote you in an email that I have never seen such a tool in Australia. The following week however, I saw a tractor pulling a PTO driven similar aeratore in the park near our home, leaving the same turf turds all over the place. We are in the beginning of our rainy season - winter.

    ReplyDelete