Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, June 11, 2018

Fountain’s up & running!


Morning’s delight

By Moristotle

“I don’t know why we ever thought I’d need help setting up the fountain,” I said to my wife after coming in a little while ago from starting the fountain pump arunning.
    I’d just restarted the fountain after cleaning it yesterday and flushing out the pump’s filter. As when I set the pump up for the season about a month ago, this required me to “manhandle” the 100-lb vase’s bottom onto an edge of its pedestal, carefully attach the pump to the bottom of the PVC tube, and than set the vase upright, carefully positioning the pump into the pedestal without breaking the pump or its connector.

The vase and pedestal had been in storage in our garden shed since the fall of 2016; I hadn’t bothered to set the fountain up in 2017, after we returned from Paris at the end of June, our season in Mebane having been abbreviated by more than a month. I guess that, during the long hiatus, I had seemed to myself to weaken with age and begun to imagine that I might no longer be up to manhandling the vase, or maybe had become vulnerable to mishap. In fact, right up until it was time to manhandle the vase last month, I had been planning to call on my next-door neighbor. But something happened – he was gone, or it rained, I forget, but, anyway, the manhandling got delayed a day – and, at the last minute, I said what the heck, I can do this....
    And I could.
    And I could again this morning. Thus: “I don’t know why we ever thought I’d need help setting up the fountain.”
    And I added on my way to write this celebratory post: “I look forward to another decade of doing it myself.” At least, it sounds like something good to shoot for.


Copyright © 2018 by Moristotle

4 comments:

  1. It is a surprise to find there is still some gas left in the tank. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, another decade seems in the works, but be sure to workout of some sort to maintain strength. Maybe I need to put a horse in your rural-suburban pasture lawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work out regularly and mean to continue. A good fitness center is within a mile, and I usually walk to and fro my workouts there. Not sure, though, that I could do well by a horse – I mean take care of a horse properly. But thanks for the offer!

      Delete