Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Hush Hush (a poem)

By Felicia Zapata Finnegan

Mommy there’s a sickness
Going round in school
I heard it from my teacher
She was speaking to the nurse
They said the symptoms are
You’re always in a daze
You seldom do your homework
And you never want to play

Everything makes you sad
You often want to cry
And they said if you look closely
You see circles neath their eyes
Teacher said she feels helpless
Feels broken up inside
Watching children suffer
Brings tears up in her eyes
I tried to understand
What “custody battle” was
But I had to run to class

Hurry mommy buy some medicine
A shot for daddy too
Teacher said you catch it
You have to see a judge
I hope that we don’t get it
I’ve seen the kids who have
Their faces are not smiling
They don’t laugh or skip or spin

Half the school has caught it
This sickness called “hush hush”
That’s what the teacher called it
When I heard her with the nurse


Copyright © 2019 by Felicia Zapata Finnegan
Ms. Finnegan last appeared here in April 2015.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, how freighted with emotion. Simple and straightforward, like a punch in the stomach. So tuned to the mind of a child; how much they understand when they don't understand. Well done.

    ReplyDelete