Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Highways and Byways: Ashtapada

By Maik Strosahl

I stumbled across a piece of information that the modern game of Chess probably originated in India from Ashtapada and a few other variations. The interesting fact to me was that Gautama Buddha listed these games as a distraction that should be avoided by his followers. The rules evolved through the years, with the queen and bishop added in the 1400s by players in Spain, and it wasn’t until the 19th century that Chess was standardized into the form we know today. Here is my take on the evolution of the game that has distracted many.


Gautama would not play
the eight by eight,
nor his disciples,
forbidden
even the boards of their minds—
astapadam played on the sky—
moving through castles
haunted by Buddhist ghosts
not sure where they will be reborn

But the Rajah
glides across the battlefield
with his ship, a horse, an elephant,
foot soldiers sacrificed
by the cast of the die,
rules of engagement fluid
as the fields became checkered,
royalty replacing the Hindus,
Christians pushing across the land—

a dark bishop
rising from the left and countered,
the knight advancing in evening hours,
moonlight to F3.



Copyright © 2020 by Maik Strosahl
Michael E. Strosahl has focused on poetry for over twenty years, during which time he served a term as President of the Poetry Society of Indiana. He also dabbles in short fiction and may be onto some ideas for a novel. He relocated to Jefferson City, Missouri, in 2018 and currently co-hosts a writers group there. In September 2020, he started the blog “Disturbing the Pond.”

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Not only fascinating and informative but an absolutely lovely piece of writing. I have read it several times. The images are, well, you've got the word: "haunting." Thank you for starting my day with such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, and another nice dip into history. There is a game from ancient Egypt called Bao, that evolved into Hus, Mancala, or Omweso, similar to Pente. Sennet and Mehen also came from Egypt, found in some burials.For some reason I excell at the all-in-a-row and pieces-in-a-pocket games, while my chess is so bad when I taught my wife to play she beat me the FIRST TIME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I used to play a lot more. My dad gave me my first set when I was about 10 and we played a lot until I starting beating him on a regular basis. I taught my siblings how to play also, but never got into the competitive chess levels. I will say I am enjoying the new series ‘The Queens Gambit’ on Netflix. It has me researching the game more just to understand everything that is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a great chess poem! I am a chess enthusiast, as well. Thank you for sharing this. Good imagery steeped in history and some mystique. I learned a bit more about chess history from this, as well.

    ReplyDelete