Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, April 25, 2021

All Over the Place: The Science Fair (Part 4 of 5)

Some Things Can Only Get Worse

By Michael H. Brownstein

Friday afternoon the office buzzed my room. “We’re sending an aide to you so you can take an important phone call.”
    Only emergency phone calls are this urgent. I rush to the phone. It’s the teacher’s union. They can’t read my writing. It’s a problem of a change of address. I’m immediately relieved.

    But as soon as I hang up the phone, it rings again. So I answer it. It’s the security guard. Why’s he calling the school? He’s in the school.
    And he tells me. It’s the fight from yesterday that continued again at 8:30 this morning. (I didn’t even know about this one – I was at the other end of the school with another one.) He got hit in the head this time. He’s had enough. He’s not in the school. He went home. He wants to quit. A bunch of girls who don’t even go to the school invaded the front office and the fight that began after the science fair began again.
    Nine police cars. One security guard, the assistant principal – a woman, by the way – and a former woman teacher tried to break it up. Thankfully, the police are there within seconds. It was as if they were waiting. A lot of people are handcuffed and sent to jail.
    The security guard wants to transfer to another school. I end the phone call by convincing him to give the school one more chance. One more chance.
    One more chance.
    Do you know how it feels to want to cry? This is what I’m thinking as I say it over and over.
    One more chance. One more chance.
    He said OK and then I went back upstairs to work – my class full of my students, three students from next door and two boys who wanted to fight on the first floor. I don’t even get a chance to sit down. A sub is in the hall yelling my name. Yelling it. OK – this is how it continues.


Copyright © 2021 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s volumes of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else and How Do We Create Love?, were published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018 & 2019, respectively.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the peace I hope your conclusion brings. This chaos is both eye-opening and disturbing. If not for the level-heads of the very few we would all constantly be warring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. The last segment may satisfy what you hope to see, but...

    Nonetheless, in the June or July segment, we will be back to happy thoughts and smiles.

    ReplyDelete