Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, May 28, 2021

Moristotle is slowing down

Siegfried slowed down
too . . . before the end
And doesn’t
expect to
speed back up


By Moristotle

You may not have noticed that we have not published something literally every day this month, perhaps because we almost did. But the truth is, from here on out, there will be more and more days without a posting. I just don’t have the energy any more.
    But I continue to get a lot of submissions, which actually helps me, because working with Moristotle & Co.’s fine writers helps energize me and keep me going.

    But I have been more tired of late and finally realized that I need to “take it easy” – for my own sake, if for no other reason.
    I don’t think I have to explain to anyone over a certain age how ominous the phrase “from here on out” sounds....


You’ve read them
already anyway, right?
So, for one thing:
    Now that the June Killer has been hunted down and eliminated, and Blake Harris and his team of hunters of serial killers have been gifted with airline tickets for a paid vacation to the Island of Roatán (as told in Chapter 53 yesterday), Ed Rogers and I are content to end the serialization of the BODY COUNT series.
    Anyway, I trust that you have all bought and read a copy of the series’ three novels – either as Kindle ebooks or in paperback. Congratulations, if you have. And, if you haven’t, you still have that option. The only way the reading experience could get even better would be for Ed to record himself reading the series aloud: audiobooks!


James Knudsen
is NOT Superman!
For another thing:
    Last weekend, on the Fourth Saturday of this month, James Knudsen missed only the second Fourth Saturday (I think that’s right) in his 8½ years as a staff member. He humbly confessed, “This Fourth Saturday has crept up on me with such stealth, I have no words for you. Re-run something?” I told him not to worry about it, I was drafting an announcement about slowing down, and I could use him as an example: our Loneliest Liberal, our Acting Citizen turns out to be...only human too. (Thank you, James!)


Look for NEW
poems & drawings!
For yet another thing:
     We have also decided to cease regularly re-running past poems and drawings by Eric Meub and Susan C. Price (in their “Poetry & Portraits” column). We will publish only new submissions for that column. Eric took this news positively, as a provocation to write more new portrait poems. Apparently he has a never-ending supply of terrific drawings by Susan. In any case, you can always click on that column’s link in the sidebar to access all of their old stuff.


As you may
have guessed....
And, of course:
    I will no longer search around for old columns to run again just in order to publish something every day, which I confess was the main reason for launching the “X Years Ago Today” column. (Hadn’t you guessed as much?)


Too much?
Besides:
    I often wondered whether a post a day was overdoing it for readers – as in “Too much already!” But after sharing that conjecture with a few people, I was heartened by this take from one of them:
While I applaud you taking a step back from the everyday filler, I would hesitate to say that it has been “too much already” for your audience. I have barely scratched the surface reading all the work on this site over the last 16 years, but what I have read is high-quality work by you and all the Moristotelians. Furthermore, you have offered a very talented group the privilege of sharing the stage on this forum. Though some may have drifted away through the years as their circumstances and interests have changed, this site still has much to offer to those who find it.
    I am glad you are taking more time for you and your family to enjoy the days we all have left together, but please don’t discount your work. You really have accomplished a lot over the years of this blog.
    Respectfully and with great awe,
                        Michael E. (Maik) Strosahl
    Well, that rather made my day. I guess, then, today’s announcement came about because the time and effort to meet an everyday schedule had become too much for me.

Copyright © 2021 by Moristotle

4 comments:

  1. I realized this morning, a bit sheepishly, that probably only a small fraction of the blog’s 180 months of publishing have had a post every single day. But most of those months have been relatively recent.
        My initial check could be to peruse the parenthetical numbers shown in the archive links in the sidebar. For example:

    2020 (384)
    ►  December (32)
    ►  November (30)
    ►  October (32)
    ►  September (30)
    ►  August (27)
    ►  July (30)
    ►  June (40)
    ►  May (33)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling a little down, are you? I know the feeling my old friend. I thought we were losing Del our dog last week. She was so down, not eating and not getting around well at all, so I dug a hole out back for her. I knew if she died I would not be able to dig one quick enough. It took me two days to do what would have taken two hours a number of years ago. But Del rallied and is still with us. Not sure for how long but I'm not sure how long I'll be here. Facing her death set me to thinking and not the good kind of thinking. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I'm fresh out of them. I want you to know; I treasure our friendship and am thankful for the many years we've known each other. It has been my great pleasure to call you my friend. Let us enjoy the time we have left; however much that may be. Later mi amigo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I actually do NOT feel down about the situation, but rather relieved, freed somehow, more relaxed about just "taking care of business" here at home, about the house, in the yard, neighbors, walks, communicating with nieces, nephews, cousins, running errands, etc. As you say, "Let us enjoy the time we have left." That's what I'm doing, along with you.

      Delete
  3. There was a time I ran a blog and added a new piece everyday, checked on comments, and took care of it as if it needed that much attention. Today I run a site and I post something only once a week. Yes, it gets exhausting--almost an obsession--and I applaud your decision. This is a great site, you are a one of a kind great editor and a fantastic organizer, but we all need to do what we need to do. A post a day was very daunting to me. I've often wondered how you were able to keep it up.

    I know your decision will streamline Moristotle and make it even better than.

    ReplyDelete