Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, May 7, 2021

The Crucifixions

Spread the Word
A Parable of Reversal

By Moristotle

I have revised and retitled the parable “Easter Uprising,” which appeared on April 30, to try to better express my central idea for the poem. A few days after that version appeared, I thought about adding a third stanza, but I quickly saw that some rewording in the second stanza could plant the cross on firmer ground.
    Finally, eight hours before scheduled posting, I made one more change: at the end of the first line of the second stanza, I changed “restoration” to “resurrection.” And then, at last, I saw what my muse may have been trying to tell me all along – the January 6th insurrectionists were, in effect, attempting to resurrect Donald Trump from the crucifixion he seemed to think he had suffered in losing the 2020 presidential election.



God the Father’s people thank Him for resurrection.
    His Son had been assailed with “Flog him!
    “Crown him with these thorns!” “Crucify him!
    “Nail his hands and feet!” “Mortify him!
God’s followers kneel and worship Him for Jesus’ restoration.

Donald the Fibber’s folks stood by, demanding his resurrection.
    They stormed the Capitol – he needed them;
    “Get heavy!” “Smash her office!” – he said he loved them;
    “You are very special people” – he sacrificed them;
and now they’re being crucified, victims of his instigation.

Copyright © 2021 by Moristotle

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. The revisions really work and focus this poem into an excellent work of political poetry. Please submit it to New Verse News.

    ReplyDelete