Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

The Plow

Le Roy Plow No 109 – Heirloom or eyesore?
It’s in the eye of the beholder
By Paul Clark
(aka motomynd)


To the chagrin of my wife, and the puzzlement of neighbors, visitors, and delivery people, the rusty 100-year-old plow rests on carefully chosen chunks of rock beside the stone walkway that leads to the front porch of our house. It means something to me – not quite sure what, exactly, but something. To others, it is a mystery at best, an eyesore at worst.
    One day I happen to be in our front driveway when a delivery arrives. It is the woman who pushes the button on our new, high-tech Ring doorbell and leaves a big smile with the message, “Delivery from the FedEx chick.” She looks and acts like a woman who walked off a NYC fashion catwalk, stepped into a FedEx uniform, and for some strange reason fell in love with it. She has phenomenal legs and seems to know it, since she wears shorts almost year-round.

    “What is that thing?” she asks, pointing at the plow.
    “It’s a 100-year-old plow,” I answer, “the kind people used to walk behind to plow their garden while a mule did the pulling.”
    She looks at me, seeming to wonder if I’m kidding: “People used to plow with mules? Why?”
    Wondering if maybe she is now kidding me, I cautiously say, “There was a time before tractors, you know? Mules and horses did the pulling.”
    She shakes her head: “Seems mean. Have a good day.”


Forged iron letters on its blade spell out the plow’s facts – Le Roy Plow Co, Le Roy NY No 109 – but there is of course much more to its story.
    On a winter visit to our old family farm in Upstate New York, I spotted the relic resting atop a pile of rocks at the edge of a field it had plowed decades earlier; it was wrapped in brown honeysuckle vines and all but hidden by dried, windblown leaves. It was 15 degrees below zero at the time, so I earmarked it as a spring project. Spring turned to summer, and the honeysuckle had grown into a mountain of green by the time I got back to it. I spent a day battling yellow jackets and intertwined greenery to dig out the plow, then I recruited a neighbor’s help to drag it into my rented U-Haul trailer. The next day I hauled it 600 miles south and positioned it in its place of honor by the front walk.
    “If not for me and a mule named Barney, your family would have starved to death during World War I. You drag me all the way down here and you don’t even have a mule; what’s the point?”
    Good question: What is the point? As a writer, photographer, idealist – and rarely but sometimes sentimentalist – I occasionally get caught up in various flights of fancy. For some reason, it appealed to me to have a plow in the front yard that my grandfather used to feed his family during an era when many families starved – or fled to jobs in the city before they starved. Without that plow, and that mule, and the extra food their efforts provided, my mother – the youngest child in the family – might not have survived, and I wouldn’t be here. People talk about remembering their roots: those are some roots to ponder.
    “I liked the view from that old stone pile. That field was home. I hate people gawking at me. Why didn’t you just leave me there?”
    The design of No 109 had more to do with my grandfather’s farming success that most people would suspect: it’s a heavy chunk of metal dragged by a mule, so how high-tech could it be, right? Answer: More than you might think.
    Edwin Hall, a leading farm implement designer of the early 1900s, added a touch of genius to No 109: it had a deeper groove and a longer cutting edge, which enabled it to slice open ground slightly deeper than most plows, which meant the roots of crops grew more deeply into the soil, enabling them to survive a late spring frost or early autumn freeze. A 10-20% increase in harvest mattered greatly back then.
    At the top of its game in the early 1900s, Le Roy Plow Co was testimony to the success of good design. It was the third largest plow company in all of New York State, manufacturing some 25,000 “walk behind” plows each year. Think of that: 110 years ago the company was making 25,000 plows/year that were designed to be pulled by mules or horses while a farmer stoically walked behind, keeping the furrow straight, and it was only the third largest manufacturer in the state! That era faded as tractors came on the scene, but it is amazing to realize that only 100 years ago most farmers were feeding their families with only a good plow, a good mule, and some rakes and pitchforks and other hand tools. Today it takes at least $100,000 in used equipment to establish even a small family farm.


When I was in my 20s and drove a Porsche, I cared greatly about design and engineering and performance. In the following four decades, driving a series of ubiquitous Volvos 40,000 to 50,000 miles a year, not so much: I mainly cared about affordable reliability, decent gas mileage, and my odds of surviving a wreck. Now that I’m retired and drive only 5,000 miles/year, I again care about design and engineering and performance – so I bought a used Mercedes sedan with seating for five, an immaculate safety rating, and that was designed to hit a top speed of 190 miles per hour when it was conceived in Austria. No one drives that fast, of course, but there is a comfort that comes with driving American interstate speeds in a car designed to protect people at German Autobahn speeds.
I want
to drive
my own car
faster than
200 mph
    Okay, I admit it, that last part is sort of an excuse. When I spotted the Mercedes online – at a price that was too good to be true – some quick research revealed it could be cheaply upgraded to more than 200 miles per hour with a few tweaks of the electronics and some after-market suspension upgrades. Why undertake such a project? I’ve driven more than 200 mph – on a race track – in cars owned by other people, but I’ve never driven one of my own cars that fast. Some people fantasize about shooting a par round of golf, others about going full Hemingway and catching a giant fish: I want to – just one time – drive my own car faster than 200 mph. We all have our vices.
    Returning home from a late evening at the garage, knowing I’ve done all I can to get the Benz ready for its attempt at 200 mph, I’m savoring mixed feelings of relief and accomplishment. I’ve learned quite a bit about computer tuning – the last time I messed with such detailed work I was a teen in the driveway experimenting with different weights in a Chevy distributor to maximize timing advance – and I know the Benz is going to shock some people. The car turned out to be “too good to be true” because it was one of only a hundred made, and even the dealership didn’t realize what they had. So I wound up with less than $15,000 invested in a car that is capable of outrunning some “supercars” that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. At the event I’m targeting, I know one guy is going to show up with a car that – between purchase price and upgrades – he has spent more than a million dollars on. A computer program says the Benz should beat it by six miles per hour: I’m hoping reality actually delivers that dose of humiliation.
    I step out of the Benz and notice the plow. Glistening wet from a rain shower, illuminated by the soft light of our solar-powered walkway lights, it looks practically resplendent – exactly what I hoped for when I placed it there.
    “When your grandfather was your age, he and Barney and I could cut a furrow just as straight as that yellow line you want to run at 200 miles per hour. And we were actually accomplishing something.”
    I stare at the plow, wondering what it must have been like to eke out an existence on a family farm in that hostile Upstate environment 100 years ago, knowing your family’s survival depends on you and your mule not getting sick or injured. A cleverly designed plow, a tough mule, and tough people who dared lay it all on the line to build a world they wanted: back then, that’s what life was all about.
The angles & curves to make cars faster & stable at 200 mph
came from a design to plow deeper, straighter furrows
    I run my finger along the heavy crease forged into the side of the cast iron plow. That edge made the plow cut just enough deeper to assure a superior harvest; in a different world it might have increased a car’s aerodynamics just enough to break 200 miles per hour. Those worlds intersect more closely than you might guess; there was a time when Porsche was known as much for its tractors as its cars, and the company had to decide which business to focus on. If Hitler had never come to power and commanded the building of the Autobahn, Germans would have had no need for high-speed cars, and Porsche might today be famous for its tractors. Talk about unintended consequences, think about that if you ever ponder, “Would I have killed Hitler if I had the chance?”
    “You did your job,” I think to myself, looking at the plow. “You did a great job. You deserved better than rusting away on a pile of rocks in a forgotten corner of an abandoned farm.” Retirement: outlive your usefulness, become irrelevant, warm your spirits with blurred memories of past accomplishments.
    In a few weeks I will attempt to outrun a million-dollar McLaren with an old Mercedes I bought cheap and upgraded cheap. I might succeed, or I might blow an engine and calmly coast to a stop, or I might disappear in a horrific wreck or a ball of flame like Kowalski at the end of the movie Vanishing Point.

I hope for a much better outcome than that, of course, but laying life on the line was what it was all about a hundred years ago and – modern domesticity be damned – sometimes that’s still what it’s all about today. Even if it is for something far less profound than cutting a perfect furrow to feed a family.


Copyright © 2021 by Paul Clark

21 comments:

  1. That looks like what we call a double-shovel, it pushes dirt on both sides. There are a lot more single-shoves that are used to hold up mail boxes in Mississippi. Once in a great while you'll spot a double-shovel. When I was a kid they were still using the mule/plow down in the bottoms where a tractor might get stuck. Before they tore down the old homestand. I got on the roof and rescued one of the lightning-rods and I have the hand crank phone that was on the wall in the hall as you entered the house. The old saying one mans junk is another's treasure comes to mind. Eisenhower was so impressed with the Autobahn once he became president he built our interstate highway. Good luck on that 200 mph at least you'll have four wheels instead of two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, thank you for sharing the plow knowledge. That's way above my pay grade. Nice memorabilia you rescued. I remember reading an article about Eisenhower making a U.S. cross-country trip as part of a military unit, and feeling he was lucky to survive it. After that, the Autobahn definitely impressed him.

      Since my ancestors left Scotland and came to this country, I'm the first in my family to travel all 50 states, see four continents, drive more than 200mph in a car and do more than 150mph on a motorcycle. I'm also the first male in 200 years with no clue how to hook a mule to a plow and put in a garden - which no doubt makes me the family failure.

      Delete
  2. Maybe tell us staff members privately the prospective date of your 200+ mph attempt? Will there be bleacher seating for spectators? Masks required? Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moristotle, as this quest takes shape, I will be glad to notify all interested parties. Why fail anonymously in front of a small group when you can make a fool of yourself in front of a large group of people who actually know you?

    These "flying mile" events are typically held at little used or abandoned rural and former military airstrips, and schedules tend to firm up on short notice. Like a text reading: “hey, can you be here tomorrow?” I was actually pondering the idea of going for 200mph on one of my motorcycles, until I saw a video of what can happen when a motorcycle hits an almost invisible “micro pothole” upwards of 175mph; it’s a chance to go for a Guinness record for most cartwheels, but I never was good at gymnastics, so I will pass on that. I don't like using the term "sketchy" to describe some of these events, but...

    There is no seating (unless you bring your own lawn chair) and the event itself is sort of a spectator's nightmare: you watch one car at a time take off down the tarmac like a plane on a runway, and other than the timing display showing each competitor's top speed, you really don’t see much else - unless someone blows up and bursts into flames some distance into their run. That is very exciting, especially if you are in the car when it happens. Which reminds me, some events allow "co-pilots" to ride along, so if you want an up-close experience, this could be the opportunity to seriously ponder the timeless question: “What will you ride to Valhalla?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. motomynd, it does appear that one of us other staff members would be able to witness much, much, much more of you and your car’s performance sitting in your “co-pilot” seat. Shall we devise a contest to see who the lucky staff member will be?

      Delete
    2. Moristotle, my personal advice would be to take a seat for the third or fourth run; I sort of wish I could do that myself. I have already been offered two bits of advice from people who saw the article: 1) disconnect the computer recorder, so I don't have to explain why my street-legal car was doing upwards of 200mph; 2) INSURANCE! BUY LOTS AND LOTS OF INSURANCE!

      Should we establish a raffle to choose a lucky "co-pilot" rider, or a lottery for shares in the life insurance policy I am apparently supposed to buy? As I said previously, I don't like to use the term "sketchy" - but...

      Delete
  4. My grandmother was a secretary who worked at the world headquarters for John Deere, another plow innovator. When young, we visited their plow and tractor displays many times and learned how they developed. Your story brought back a lot of memories. Although I am not as much into racing, I am also intrigued by your 200 mph adventure. I hope we will read a good story about that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, thank you for the comment. It is amazing to think of all that went into plow design 100 years ago, that people have no clue about today. As a long-time fan of Porsche performance, it was a shock to learn how close Porsche came to becoming the John Deere of Europe. A world without the Porsche 911 and its many variants would be a tragedy.
          Let me stress my quest is not a race, but rather a "flying mile" time trial against nothing but a clock and a radar gun. Although there may be some bragging rights worth far more than a trophy if my bargain Mercedes sedan hits a higher speed than some sleek and sporty “supercars” worth more than a million dollars each. Yes, hopefully the escapade creates a good story.

      Delete
  5. James T. Carney via MoristotleWednesday, May 5, 2021 at 12:30:00 PM EDT

    Paul, where did your family live in upstate New York? Westchester County?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Hoffmann via MoristotleWednesday, May 5, 2021 at 6:54:00 PM EDT

      Jim, Paul told me some time ago that it was Port Ontario, north of Syracuse, near Lake Ontario. [Also, see Paul’s “Ghost Fish (Part 1 of a Story for my Son),” published on February 28, 2020. —Moristotle]

      Delete
    2. James, from the time they came over from Scotland in the early 1800s, through the 1950s, my father's family owned and ran a large farm near Batavia, south of Buffalo: Genesee County. In that same timeframe, my mother's family owned and ran a large farm along Lake Ontario between Port Ontario and the small town of Sandy Creek: Oswego County.

      Are you by any chance familiar with either area? Today Oswego County is best known for the small town of Pulaski and its convenient sport-fishing access to massive salmon in the Salmon River.

      As I recall, Westchester County is east, near White Plains: populated by people my crusty uncle always referred to as “damn Jerseyites.” It’s about as far away from my family roots as you can get without going to NYC.

      Delete
    3. James T. Carney via MoristotleThursday, May 6, 2021 at 3:33:00 PM EDT

      Sandy Creek is right off I-81 on my way to Waterown, Route 3 and Childwold, where I’ll be headed this Memorial Day weekend.

      Delete
    4. Neil Hoffmann via MoristotleThursday, May 6, 2021 at 3:35:00 PM EDT

      61 years ago, after our Senior Prom, a bunch of hung-over 18-year-olds from Jamesville DeWitt HS, outside Syracuse, went to Selkirk Shores State Park on a cool and cloudy morning, to lie on the beach and recuperate.

      Not far from Sandy Creek.

      Delete
  6. See I get this totally. I would have that plow proudly displayed in my front yard with a nice border of flowers or something. Utterly cool it was from your own family too! Ed's comment made me think of something my grandfather said about single- and double-shovel plows. Some of the family lived in Georgia in areas that were rocky soil, and while a double-shovel was fine on flat soil with no rocks, if you hit a rock too big to dig out with a double-shovel you would play hell trying to get the mule to back up to go around. Sometimes the single would let you sneak by on the side with no shovel. HIS grandfather lived on a hillside in the Stone Mountain area, and on his 100th birthday was out ploughing when the family came to visit...anyway, exceptional coefficient of coolness, historic, folkloric, and just the kind of thing I would do. Good on ya! 200 MPH? I'll watch, thanks, but bon chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger, you and Ed have so much more knowledge about plows than I ever dreamed of, I wish I had known and consulted both of you before writing this piece. Doesn't someone out ploughing on their 100th birthday deserve one of your excellent articles? Sounds like a heck of a story, especially if you can work in a Stone Mountain angle: that would be quite a monument to "Southerners" to attempt to take down.

      Delete
    2. I wish I had more info on that story to actually make it into one. The only other detail I remember was they had to drive a truck, because to get to the farm you had to drive through a dry (one hoped I assume!) creekbed, and even the hardy cars of the day weren't up to it.

      Delete
    3. I never saw any of the land my father plowed with a mule, nor any of the implements. His experiences of that were in the 1915-20 period, I guestimate, in Arkansas, and I was born a world later, in California. And here I am today, a world from California, but closer to Roanoke, Virginia, and to Arkansas. And farther away still when I am immersed in a book or a streamed dramatization, or an Adventure from Bulgaria, or a dream of Bob Boldt, or a tale of Highways and Byways, or on stage with Acting Citizen , or anywhere of All Over the Place.

      Delete
  7. Neil Hoffmann via MoristotleWednesday, May 5, 2021 at 6:56:00 PM EDT

    I have to say that the plow blade is one of the most elegant industrial objects I ever saw. A piece of modern sculpture that Calder would been proud of.

    Could that have lain in a field rusting for 100 years? It's hardly rust-pitted. What kind of steel is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, no clue about the steel - might ask Roger or Ed about that as they seem to be our resident plow experts. The photos show the plow sitting exactly as I found it; I've done no cleanup at all. I'm guessing the plow's salvation was that it probably rested atop a six-foot tall pile of rocks for a half century or more, and it was so covered in vines it hardly got wet. It was in fact so covered in brown, winter-killed vegetation that I spotted it on that bitterly cold day only because I was trying to get out of the wind, and suddenly there it was. Between walking, running, x-c skiing and snowmobiling, I had roamed that field hundreds of times, and had never before spotted it. I suspect the plow was retired in the late 1940s when my uncle bought what he called "a narrow-gauge jeep" that was apparently great for farm work - and in a pinch could be driven to town. The rocks were gleaned from the field over the decades and piled to take up less space, and my uncle Carl was the kind of guy who would go to the trouble of placing a plow upon such a pile of rock as a tribute to its years of service.

      Delete
  8. I found an old plain in the barn when I was a kid. The damn thing was four foot long. I have used and seen a lot of plains but never one that long or one that weighed that much. I put it on my shoulder and carried it to the house and asked my uncle what it was used for. It seems to day we can buy planks and doors that come ready to hang. But in days gone past most lumber was rough cut and had to be squared by hand and that was what that plain was used for. No idea whatever happened to it. There was a sorghum Mill down by the creek that I had a picture of my cousin and me standing by it. It was also, ran by a mule or horse. My family that lived on that farm never owned a tractor. After my great-grandfather died they rented out the land to a farmer by the name of Sprayberry, so all the mule/horse pulling machinery was parked out at the old barn. There was a big rake with a metal seat and a hay cutter with a blade that raised up and down the wheels operated the cutting blade. Then there was a planter, one person on the seat driving the mules another behind dropping seeds. The old house and barn are gone so I guess someone hauled off all of it.

    ReplyDelete