Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, February 11, 2022

In Memoriam: Victor L. Midyett

Missionary kid, 
storyteller, 
man of all trades


By Moristotle

Our beloved columnist Vic Midyett passed away this morning. He had recently been conversing with me and a couple of others about some differences between dogs and cats. His last email, on Wednesday, said:
Y’all know the difference between dogs and cats, right?
    The dog says, “You house me, you feed me, you love me: you must be God.”
    The cat says, “You house me, you feed me, you love me: I must be God.”
So typically to the point!
    I was told the news of Vic’s death in a reply to that email thread by his widow, fellow columnist Shirley Deane/Midyett.
    Vic was born in India, within two years of his American missionary parents’ arrival there in 1950. He called himself a missionary kid, and he delighted us with many stories of that period of his life in his “Missionary Kid Stories” column. Vic seemed to me a born storyteller, frequently sending me short, usually humorous narratives.
    He told us more about his early life in a “Tuesday Voice” column dated October 7, 2014, which includes photos of his family from that time. That column was written on the occasion of a then-upcoming book about his father by his cousin Randy Somers, published under the title JT Another Mighty Midyett.
    Vic also called himself a man of all trades, including driving trucks hauling hazardous materials. Shirley drafted a good portion of a book riding along in the cab with Vic, a book that came to be titled Brain Tangles: Unraveling the Mysteries of Communication and Human Behavior, which I edited and helped them self-publish in 2018. 
    My own favorite of Vic’s trades (after storytelling) was his trade of philosophizing. We even posted the articles he wrote under that guise under a byline including his full first name and middle initial.
    After spending eleven years in Australia with Shirley on their last extended tour Down Under, including three years among what Aussies call the “Gray Nomads,” roaming the Australian countryside adventurously, and then settling comfortably for three more years in the port city of Fremantle, Western Australia, they returned to the United States in April 2019, there settling on their own property in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, the capital of the Cherokee Nation.
    “Tahlequah” means two is enough, and Vic & Shirley’s column from Australia, “Thunder Down Under,” morphed into “Two Is Enough.”
    Let’s join with Shirley in keeping that other half of Two alive in our remembrance of Vic.
_______________
And these final words: Vic left this message for friends and family:
As you walk on into a world that is increasingly aiming to move beyond the speed of thought, I hope you will each remember the importance of traveling at the speed of interconnections. That you will accept the beautiful gifts of life even when they aren’t pretty, that you will practice loving selflessly and strive to know your deepest nature.
Copyright © 2022 by Moristotle

8 comments:

  1. I am at the same time saddened that I did not get to know Vic better in my short time here and glad that he still has left a body of work for me to explore the adventures he chose to share. My condolences to Shirley and the rest of his loved ones. And thank you Morris for sharing this tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a brilliant man. His family is in my family's prayers. I'm sorry I never got to meet him in person, but I'm incredibly happy his words had a very positive impact on me and my wife.

    Thanks, Vic, you will not be forgottenm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, Vic’s phrasings in his message to friends and family seem to me – familiar as I am with his phrasings of the past – to reflect a deep reading and appreciation of your writings. I perceive a beautiful ellipse here. And I like to think that Vic would be glad to know I noted it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this, Morris. Vic would have loved it. Vic was married to my cousin Shirley and a part of my family. He and I have kept in touch over the years even when we both lived outside of the USA. I will miss getting his sometimes strange jokes in an e-mail and having to reply a couple days later that I had finally gotten the joke. His voice will indeed be missed on these pages. Love ya cus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts and condolences go to Jake and family from Australia
    Bear and Sue AKA (Santa Clause) at Walkamin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bear. I remember you. I remember your comment of May 10, 2016:

      Yes mate you sure do meet some nice people on your travels 1 nice lady we met still believes in Santa and I have a letter to prove it
      BEAR


      Thank you for for your comment today. Thank you for helping us remember Vic.
          It’s Valentine’s Day where you are too, right? Have a happy one!

      Delete
  5. No wonder I have NEVER wanted to have a cat in the house...although we did have one, after our daughter went off to college and left HER cat (that a boyfriend had given her, I think) to our caring. Oscar was his name. He WAS a good cat, though, and gave us no problem I can remember. A good mouser. Got along with our Golden Retriever, Ruffy. We have a photo display of Oscar and of our first standard poodle (Wally) that a friend of my wife gave her. Good memories, actually. But then, as I see my life and its memories vanishing down the sinkhole of Time, I am remembering many, many things with love and affection and longing....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Vic, Maik Strosahl's "The Birdhouses" column today, with its Jenny Kalahar photos, reminded me of you, as I noted in a comment there.

    ReplyDelete