Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

PocketRock Heart Project:
Christmas 2021 (Part 7)

By Maik Strosahl

Christmas as a holiday does not mean much to me. I was exposed to its pagan roots while very young and figured out that if we really are supposed to celebrate Jesus’ birthday, it would be somewhere around October 1, not coinciding with the worship of the sun as it gained strength after the winter solstice (also my sister Mari’s birthday).
    But what I do love about holidays such as Christmas is having a day off where we can gather and love on one another.
    This year, I was particularly excited.
    One change in my life that I have not yet mentioned is that I remarried. Kali and I wed in 2016–that is her hand in the first picture last week; the other two pictures are of our boys, Nick and Steven, with their PocketRock Hearts.
    I was probably driving the three of them a little bonkers as we wandered around the Quad Cities, killing time while waiting for the gathering by showing the boys the Mississippi River, my boyhood home, schools, bridges, places where I rode my bike, and other things that I was enthused to see again. I tried to make it up to Kali by letting her pick the first heart from the tray.


At 5 o’clock, it was time to get to Mari’s, where she had spent the day making huge cauldrons of soup. Others were bringing assorted stuffings, but we were told to bring just ourselves (which might be indicative of their opinions on my culinary skills?). Kali brought pumpkin bread anyhow.
    As everybody arrived, we collected hugs and greetings, stories of recent days that were fresh in mind. My oldest sister Reni is even more of a clown than I am and came in a Santa costume and beard.
    I took Katie aside with my brother Steve, since he was both involved with the table discussion after Thanksgiving and helped spark my solution.
    I told Katie how much what she shared at that dinner had touched me, told her how special she had always been to me and how similar we are. From a pocket I pulled out my current pocket rocks, telling her the story of how my most precious stone came into my possession and about the project I was intending to embark on. I thanked her for the inspiration, then proceeded to tell her I would not be giving her one of the hearts I had purchased for the project.
    I told her that rather than give her one of those hearts—which I would be handing out to my other nieces, nephews, siblings, and important people in my life—I wanted to give her something especially for her.
    “It’s time for me to retire my first pocket rock,” I said, as I picked out the banded agate Donald had given to me 45 winters ago handed it to her. “It’s time for me to pass this one on to someone who understands the things we hold dear and will carry it further, beyond my days.”

     Katie lunged for me and we held each other through a beautiful cry. I think I even saw Steve tearing up. (I would be giving him second choice from the hearts.)
    These were the first of several very emotional moments. I met individually with each sister present, then expanded to my nephews who were there. Mari’s son Blake, a recent father himself, loved the heart so much he plans to carry it all his days, then pass it on to his own son one day.
    It was a beautiful day and its memories will carry me through whatever years I have left. But even more, the first among those who are special to me will now be aware of their importance.
    And in case they might forget, all they have to do is reach into their pocket to find a carved piece of rock and be reminded of the real heart they have carried with them from the day they walked into my life.


Copyright © 2022 by Maik Strosahl
Michael E. Strosahl has focused on poetry for over twenty years, during which time he served a term as President of the Poetry Society of Indiana. He relocated to Jefferson City, Missouri, in 2018 and currently co-hosts a writers group there.

2 comments: