Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, February 24, 2022

From “The Scratching Post”:
A change of perspective

By Ken Marks

[Opening from the original on The Scratching Post, February 23, 2022, published here by permission of the author.]




It looks like
my father was right about UFOs. Back in the Fifties, the decade of my adolescence, a spike in UFO sightings made him a believer. “I think visitors from another planet are having a look at us,” he said with enthusiasm. Not dread or concern—enthusiasm.
    As it happened, the school I attended was introducing me to science, the hardest of hard-nosed disciplines. I said, “Dad, that’s just not possible.”
    My certainty startled him. “What? You doubt there’s other intelligent life in the universe?”
    “No, just the opposite. The universe is so vast that it’s mathematically impossible for us to be alone.” He seemed relieved that I wasn’t an ignoramus.
    “Good. And it also stands to reason that some of the sentient beings out there are below our level of development and some are beyond it. In fact, some must have technologies that far exceed ours.” I agreed, of course.
    “So, their visits are possible,” he said with satisfaction.
    Now I had him. “Dad, it doesn’t matter how advanced they are….”
[Read the whole thing on The Scratching Post.]


Copyright © 2022 by Ken Marks
Ken Marks was a contributing editor with Paul Clark & Tom Lowe when “Moristotle” became “Moristotle & Co.” A brilliant photographer, witty conversationalist, and elegant writer, Ken contributed photographs, essays, and commentaries from mid-2008 through 2012. Late in 2013, Ken birthed the blog The Scratching Post. He also posts albums of his photos on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment