Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, February 6, 2023

Mary’s Voice:
Posthumously Speaking 22

Detail from “Morning by the Sea”
Morning by the Sea

By Mary Alice Condley
(1925-2007)


Editor’s Note: After Mary Alice’s niece Dawn Stella Burke found the three paintings recently shown in this column – “The Barn,” “Autumn Hues,” and “Flowers in Bronze” – she was overjoyed to find a fourth, which we are pleased to share with you today. Says Dawn Stella:
Aunt Mary didn’t sign or date this painting. And best I can remember I’ve had it since around 1980. My Sweet Pa made a frame for it years ago but it got broken because of me (my fault entirely). I’m so thankful and fortunate to have all the paintings I do of hers, and to have all my wonderful memories of that dear, sweet, loving aunt. I miss her lots!
I miss Mary, too, and Flo and Don. I might have known them better if I hadn’t been so much younger. I was barely not a child when Don taught me how to tie a double Windsor necktie knot.

“Morning by the Sea,” 9" x 12", circa 1980

Copyright © 2023 by Moristotle

1 comment:

  1. This painting of my beloved sister Mary Alice might just be my favorite of all of her growing number of works. The ocean shore is such a different subject for her to paint. And there’s something unusually imaginative about her rendition here. Otherworldly?

    ReplyDelete