Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, February 20, 2023

Mary’s Voice:
Posthumously Speaking 25

Detail of “Visiting Birds,”
by Geneva Metzler
Geneva Metzler’s
“Visiting Birds”


By Mary Alice Condley
(1925-2007)


Editor’s Note: In the notes on “Autumn Hues,” Mary Alice’s daughter, Karen Abbey, told us that she has a painting by her mother’s painting teacher, Geneva Metzler. Karen bought it at a showing of Geneva’s, in Sanger, California. “When I saw the picture I knew I had to have it! I think it cost $75.”
    Karen also told us that her mother painted a copy of Geneva’s painting that was almost as good. Unfortunately, neither Karen nor anyone else from whom I’ve received photos of Mary Alice’s paintings knows the whereabouts of Mary’s copy. We appeal to everyone who can think of someone who might have it to please contact that person and ask after it.
    Below is what Mary’s painting looks like. Thanks to Karen’s son Stephen Denham for providing the photograph.


“Visiting Birds,” by Geneva Metzler, 15.5" x 11.5"

Copyright © 2023 by Moristotle

3 comments:

  1. I have reached out by email to about twenty relatives, asking them to think of anyone who might possibly have my sister’s copy of “Visiting Birds,” maybe even one of themselves, forgotten away in a box in an attic or back closet the way Dawn Stella Burke’s recently discovered paintings by Mary Alice were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just come upon this blog post because I am Geneva Metzler's great-granddaughter and I've been in search of her paintings over the last number of years. I have a few that were passed down in my family but I am hoping to find more. I love this one of the birds!!! I would love to speak to the owner if possible. Please let me know the best way to reach out. Thank you and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mary Senn, how extraordinary that you should have left this comment only a few minutes ago, for I just now happened to be checking this blog. I think the person you need to talk with is Karen Abbey, the daughter of Mary Alice Condley who was a student of your great grandmother. Please email me at moristotle@gmail.com, so I can have something to forward to Karen and let her know how to get back in touch with you.

    ReplyDelete