Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, May 4, 2012

Do you have a bad-manager story?

Yesterday I told my most recent "bad-manager story." I said there were innumerable such stories told by workers all over the world. Surely you have one. If you do, let's hear it.
    To get us started, here's one provided by a woman who prefers to remain anonymous:

Another crazy bitch. There is a truism, I guess you'd call it: People take jobs because of the company reputation and leave jobs because of their manager. I've probably worked at 20 different jobs since college and had one really great manager, a few tolerable ones, a few not so great ones, and maybe three truly horrendous ones. One had been reported to HR many, many times and continued her absolutely unconscionable management style—for instance screaming at one of my employees in the middle of the work area. I asked her to apologize to my employee. She went up to my employee, again in front of everyone, and said, "I heard you wanted me to apologize. You know how I am, get over it." She finally moved on to another company and we were all so happy...until they promoted from within and we got another crazy bitch in her place. Except this one did not acknowledge her own craziness and "unique" management style (at least the first one realized she was a pain in the ass). I left, the person that took my place left, one of the two other managers left, but almost everyone else is still there, trying to tough it out until the new crazy bitch moves on. I tried to give feedback to this woman's boss before I left but as long as the department is doing okay, he and the company are unconcerned with what they view as "personality conflicts."

1 comment:

  1. Bad manager? I spent two years on a medical leave and was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Medicated to the hilt. Changed my life, to this day.
        However, some things are best left buried. Bringing events, repressed memories, old wrongs out into the sunlight is not always cathartic, but may end up creating irreparable emotional or mental damage and/or an end to a life. Some things are best left buried and forgotten.
        Anyway, it's too long a story. I sued the county and the supervisor I worked for, and won (harassment, discrimination). But try and get promotions after suing your employer. It took eleven years, but I managed to be promoted four times before retirement. It was a fight every day, but in the end it was worth it. Made me stronger and able to compete in a male-dominated work place.

    ReplyDelete