Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Ask Wednesday: Vernon DeWayne Voss on killing cancer naturally

Even if the doctors consider it whacko

Edited by Morris Dean

My cousin DeWayne Voss was a boyhood friend. We played chess together, we boxed (although hitting each other in the head quickly lost its appeal). We drew cartoons and made posters for church. He would invite a few children from the neighborhood and we would play tent revival – DeWayne taking the role of the preacher, of course. He was as gifted an orator as he was a cartoonist. (Some of his current cartoons are starting to appear in our "Fish for Friday" column.)
    I learned earlier this year that DeWayne, whom we now call Vern, has cancer, and several weeks ago he and I had a long telephone conversation from his home in Tucson, Arizona. What Vern told me was so remarkable, it seemed almost imperative that the story of his dealing with the situation be shared with others. We are grateful that he agreed to be interviewed. [Our questions are in italics.]

Cousin-brother, let's start by having you tell us how you learned you even had cancer, and when did you find out?
    While Carolyn [his wife] and I were in Arkansas in October 2013 I was experiencing some pain in my left side. After we returned home, the pain increased. I went to the doctor and had a blood test. Its results indicated an extremely elevated PSA (790), and an unusual liver count. The doctor immediately ordered a CT scan. It revealed enlarged lymph nodes and spots in the pelvic area and lower spine. He stated that when cancer migrates from the prostate this is usually the path it takes.
    He immediately referred me to a urologist. The urologist did a prostate biopsy and a full bone scan. Of the 12 biopsies, 10 were cancerous. The bone scan showed spots indicating cancer at the base of the skull and in my spine, ribs, sternum, pelvic area, and right femur. The urologist stated it was a stage-4 aggressive metastatic cancer.

Hadn't there been earlier signs or indications? How had they been missed?
    In 2007, I had a high PSA count (8). But a follow-up test showed that the count had dropped to 5.

So, they didn't think there was anything to worry about then?
    Because the PSA count had gone down and there were no other symptoms, the urologist thought I was okay.

Learning you had "the Big C" must have been quite a blow, Vern. How did you, and Carolyn, take the news?
    Carolyn and I were together when the doctor told us. To be quite truthful, we were concerned but not alarmed, because we firmly believe nothing is impossible with God. We told our family and friends everything we had learned.

I doubt that few could have taken it so calmly. Don't think I would have. How did you manage to do that?
    Because my hope is in Christ, not in man.

What treatment was recommended? What did your doctors think the options were?
    The pain in my left side cam from my kidney not being able to drain properly due to the enlarged lymph nodes that had displaced my left ureter. For that, the doctor recommended inserting a stent in the ureter.
    They also recommended that I begin taking shots of the hormone Firmagon in my stomach each month, to lower my testosterone level.
    To kill the cancer, they said I could opt for chemo, bone drugs, or radiation.

What did you decide based on their recommendations?
    I agreed to the stent and the shots, but NOT to any chemo, bone drugs, or radiation. The doctor inserted a stent and the pain in my left side ceased.
    I continue to get the monthly Firmagon shots.

As you told me on the phone, Vern, the key thing you did was to undertake what I believe you called an "alkaline diet." What is that, and how had you learned about it?
     Because God created us a three-part person, SPIRIT, SOUL, and BODY, all three are important to treat. I know that God is my Source. I read the Bible, which gives me strength, hope, and encouragement.
    Carolyn helps me with the physical part. In the beginning I was given the book How to Kill Cancer before It Kills You!, by Budd Kramer. Much of what he recommends in the book is what I do.
    Through research and prayer, I have been doing the following since my initial diagnosis:

  1. Changing my body to be more alkaline and less acidic 
  2. Staying away from processed and fast food as much as possible
  3. Taking NO coffee that hasn't been decaffeinated, and NO refined sugar
  4. Taking good supplements
  5. Drinking good water
  6. Following the Budwig Protocol: "Healing Products for Healtful Living"
  7. Following the Baking Soda Protocol:
  8. Following the Essiac Tea Protocol: "Quality Organic Essiac Tea at Discount Prices"
  9. Following the Asparagus Protocol: "Cancer and Asparagus Puree"
  10. Exercising regularly – walking, playing golf, and lifting hand-weights 
I understand from what you told me on the phone that a person doesn't "just go on" the diet, but follows a prescribed procedure of steps to build up to a daily program. How does that work? What's the purpose of each step?
     The references given above describe the procedures. The whole undertaking is a journey, and although the basics may stay the same, we tweak things as we learn. For the first step mentioned, to make my body Ph more alkaline, I take one teaspoon of baking soda with one teaspoon of blackstrap molasses in an 8-oz. glass of water on an empty stomach each day. I periodically check the acidity/alkalinity on a piece of Ph test strip. Supposedly, cancer can't survive at a reading of 8 to 8-1/2 (according to the Youtube video).

Tell us about avoiding meat as a part of the program. What's the idea behind that?
    In researching the alkaline diet we learned that meat is acidic, so that is why I don’t eat much of it.

Have you formed any opinions about eating meat in general? What do you recommend to your friends, whether they have cancer or not?
    Meat should not be the focus of each meal, but an occasional small portion. If my friends ask, I recommend eating less meat. And what meat you do eat should be organic or free from hormone injections.

How has the presence of cancer in your body changed since its discovery and the initial findings of the CT scans? Increased and spread? Regressed, gone away?
    Initially the PSA went down, but in March it begin to climb back up. In April it was higher, which signaled to the doctor that the cancer was spreading.
    In May (last month), he ordered another CT scan and a full-body bone scan.
    The results showed the lymph nodes to be normal, and showed no cancer spots in the base of the skull, sternum, ribs, or femur. Just a few spots remained in the lower spine and pelvic area.
    The doctor was shocked and amazed. All he could do for me was remove the stent from my ureter.

How have you felt during all this time, both physically and emotionally? You had that bad pain in your left side that sent you to the doctor in the first place. What other pain have you experienced?
    The only pain I had stopped when the stent was put in, and I’m still pain free (stent removed). I’ve never had any stress or depression about any of this because as I said, my trust is in Jesus.

What have your doctors said about your refusal to go on a chemo program? Do they take the diet seriously?
    I don’t talk to the doctors much about any of the natural things I’m doing. They only know three ways to treat cancer – poison it, burn it, cut it out. Anything else they pretty much consider whacko and, NO, they wouldn’t take the diet seriously.

The doctors just said okay to your refusal to let them intervene? They didn't try to persuade you to follow their recommendation?
    The doctors recommended taking bone drugs. I said no due to their side-effects.

Do you intend to ever let your doctors know about your diet and so on?
    Not sure whether, at some point, I will or not....

Why wouldn't you tell them?
    They don't understand doing anything natural.

You also mentioned that people were praying for you, and you felt that some divine intervention was going on also. [Another person we interviewed who had cancer was also praying and enlisting his friends to pray – our friend Jack Cover ("Living with kidney cancer"), who succumbed at the end of May.]
    I do believe that praying is vital. The Bible teaches it, and Jesus, our example, did it. Also I’ve witnessed the results of prayer in my lifetime (especially in Vietnam – 15 different combat engagements with the Vietcong while serving as a Marine Corps sergeant).

    [Click to enlarge either photo.]

Do you believe that prayer alone could have achieved the same result? Did you consider relying on prayer alone, without any special dieting? What's your understanding of the role of divine intervention relative to your change of diet?
    Yes, I do believe that praying to the one and only God can achieve healing, but God created our bodies to respond positively to the right things being put into them. Example: I take good care of my car. I do what the creator of my car says to do, to give it longevity. Likewise, I want to follow what my Creator God says is best for my spirit, soul, and body.

What haven't we asked that you wish we had? What else would you like to say about your experience with cancer, with the diet, with prayer?
    The one positive thing is – I’m eating a healthier diet then I ever have and I know I will greatly benefit from it. Prayer is my lifeline.
_______________
Copyright © 2014 by Vernon DeWayne Voss & Morris Dean

Comment box is located below

21 comments:

  1. You hear a lot about chemotherapy and other medical interventions for trying to kill or forestall cancer. Today we interview someone who rejected those therapies in favor of an alkaline diet. It seems to be working fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor Jason Surbrook has read the interview and commented on Facebook:

    I'm fairly certain that a pH of 8-8.5 across your whole body would kill all of you, cancer included, which is what he's suggesting he's doing. 'Supposedly, cancer can't survive at a [pH] reading of 8 to 8-1/2.'"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is correct according to the youtube about making the baking soda molasses mixture which I follow. -Vern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vern, please confirm what you just said. Jason's comment was that "a pH of 8-8.5 across your whole body would kill ALL OF YOU" (bold all-caps mine). Did you mean to say that he's correct about THAT? Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I'm at an industry conference and one of the speakers founded a website called Patients Like Me. Vern should register and put his experience out there for others to see. He can also see what has or hasn't worked for other people like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestion Jennifer, but for the time being I'll just stick with this posting on Ask Wednesday. PS- Jennifer your Dad and I have a lot of special childhood memories growing up together. -Vern

      Delete
  5. I have never heard that it will kill your entire body. So i don't know. I am learning as I go. -Vern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Vern, so you didn't mean to confirm Jason's allegation....
          Note that if he's right, you may be learning something quite unexpected!
          Will you now (after hearing what Jason thinks) do some further research into whether the alkaline diet has some undesirable side-effects of its own?
          One thing I did after reading Jason's comment was to google on "alkaline diet for killing cancer." A LOT of articles about this....

      Delete
  6. All I know is that I'm still alive. I may do a little more research on the body pH. Speaking of killing the whole body, in the past when people took Chemo treatments it not only destroyed the cancer but it also destroyed everything else in the body it touched. -Vern

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect Jason is quite right that an alkaline level over 8 is detrimental to humans. As pointed out in my calcium red herring, the human body maintains a pH level of 7.4, slightly alkaline.
    I also suspect that DeWayne’s success has more to do with starving the cancer of what it feeds upon rather than killing it with excess alkaline. Studies have shown that sulfur containing amino acids such as methionine feed cancer cells. See: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/starving-cancer-with-methionine-restriction/
    By cutting down on meat DeWayne has cut down on the foods that feed cancers and has consequently experienced positive results.
    DeWayne’s doctor apparently feels that anyone who suggests that diet causes cancer is a wacko. I suggest that everyone find a doctor who is a wacko! That is find a doctor who practices evidence-based medicine and consequently recommends a plant-based diet to cure ills. While these wackos are few and far between they are out there if you look for them like wacko Dr. Michael Gregor who produced the aforementioned video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Jim, thanks for commenting on the important point raised by Jason Surbrook and for raising the possibility that something else besides, or in addition to, Vern's body's pH level, may be contributing to his good result.
          And thanks for alerting us to the spelling of Dr. Greger's name.
          For convenience: link to your calcium red herring.
          Also, for everyone's additional convenience in accessing your whole series of red herring articles (to date), I've added a link in the sidebar "Tuesday Voice: Jim Rix's red herrings." Thanks for all you do, Jim.

      Delete
  9. Hi Vern,
    First let me wish you good luck with your journey. Stage Four is a hard thing to hear and I guess if you live by the rule, it's in God's hands; it is easier to deal with.
    When they told me I had cancer, even before the CT scan I started to look into burial plots and spent days writing out the chores that someone else would have to take care of once I was gone.
    My only prayer was, "If it is my time to die---let me do it well."
    I was lucky and it was not Stage Four. It was colon cancer that had moved to one or two lymph nodes. They cut it out and I underwent 6mos of chemo. I was 64 at the time and turned 72 last Jan. The chemo was not good but was not as bad as I thought it would be. I missed a total of 15 days of work.
    I had two very good friends die from the same cancer a year before and three months a part. One a preacher who lived across the street and the other the most saintly man I’ve ever known.
    The one thing I can tell you Vern is I don’t have any idea why some people live and others die. A cousin said, doesn’t it make you want to scream at God, “Why me lord!” I told her, why not me. Why would I have a right to claim special treatment? I’m no better, and in some ways worse, than other people with cancer.
    I spoke to Steve Jobs in Memphis after his last trip. It was a chance meeting, but I asked him how he was doing. He smiled and said, “I guess I’m doing pretty good.”
    I’m doing pretty good these days and I hope you are also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I am certainly glad you made it through and are doing good.
      I likewise am doing good. Thanks for your input. -Vern

      Delete
  10. thanks for asking Vern, and Vern, thanks for sharing. A healthier diet and exercise with stretching, aerobics, and weights is always a good idea. and, faith is not a bad idea...good luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan you are correct. I was raised on, and all my life loved, fried greasy food and junk food. This undoubtably contributed to my condition. Thankfully, I have been off that kind of diet for 6 months and now prefer salads, greens and fruit. -Vern

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does this soda/ molasses protocol work on any type of cancer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I am sorry, but neither I nor anyone I know can reliably answer that question for you. Good luck looking elsewhere for an answer.

      Delete
  13. It's 2020. Is Vern still alive and doing well?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do hope he was comfortable. I understand bone caner can be about the most painful.

    ReplyDelete