Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Second Saturday’s Sonnet

Theseus

By Eric Meub


 
 
 

 
 
 
 

The king gave me protection, and the god
the body of an ad for underwear,
but on the docks of Troezen in a fraud
of both I tempted every sailor there.

A gray-haired captain who had bowed before
my father’s throne now cruised me through the fog
about the ships. I watched him jump to shore,
all muscles, then I led him like a dog.

Winter slapped the lines against the mast
he pinned me to. He slipped a tiny head
into my hand—a horse head sea charm cast
in bronze—to save me from myself, he said.

I murdered all my way to Athens, grim
as Neptune, just to shake the smell of him.


_______________
Copyright © 2014 by Eric Meub
Eric Meub, architect, lives and practices in Pasadena. He is the adopted brother of the artist, Susan C. Price. They respect, in their different ways, the line.

9 comments:

  1. Didn't think Eric could shock you, did you? Well, now you know he can. [Thanks for showing us, Mr. Meub.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that's terrific, Eric. Give my love to Pasadena, my old stomping ground . . . -mjh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, is any of your fiction set in Pasadena? I'm looking for a chapter for one of the two fiction slots this month.

      Delete
  3. i dont get it, what is shocking? for heaven's sake...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear, you're an exception to the general "you," nothing I know of would shock YOU.

      Delete
  4. Not so much shocking as frustrating to those of us whose base in the classics isn't deep enough to catch all the allusions. "Skeleton Key" please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I managed to pick up some of the references, but struck out on the grey-haired captain and his sea horse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is like a joke if you have to explain it----it's not funny anymore. Enjoyed it, however my head did feel a little like a ping pong ball at times, but that is what makes it so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, if you mean that getting the classical allusions isn't that important, I think I agree with you. All that the reader needs to get, I think, is that there ARE classical allusions - i.e., that the poet is setting the story in "classical times." That, anyway, is why I enjoy the sonnet so much.

      Delete