Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tuesday Voice

Ocean lighthouse therapeutic painting plus (detail)
Therapeutic art is more

By Vic Midyett

My wife Shirley calls the painting shown below HER therapeutic painting. She started painting it well over a year ago. At first it was only clouds in vivid orange, red, pink, and white splashes, almost like an atomic explosion. Then it toned down a little, but still with dark, angry-looking clouds. She would put it away and go back to it over the months, changing its mood each time.

Ocean lighthouse therapeutic painting plus (14" x 30")
    Finally, the painting ended up like this, with the hint of a lighthouse in the distance shining its light to those in desperation. What it says to me is, "No matter how troubled the waters of life get, if you seek well your personal and honest truth, you will be comforted by a good direction and a solid outcome."
    Shirley says that for her the painting became a symbol of peace and guidance no matter what the storms of life bring. It sits proudly in our van, which many have entered in order to look at her work, but of all her paintings, no one has ever commented on this one. She finds that in itself very interesting, perhaps underlining the fact that art needs to be interpreted by each individual. That's why she feels that therapeutic art must be interpreted by its creator – not by the person's therapist. Art is not just art.
_______________
Copyright © 2014 by Vic Midyett

Comment box is located below

8 comments:

  1. Today's Voice is two-part harmony: the lyric text by writer Vic Midyett, the soaring voice the therapeutic painting by artist Shirley Deane/Midyett. Thanks for the song! And Vic, how DID you take the photo of Shirley's TALL painting? I see no optical distortion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! All I have is a $100 cheap digital camera and took it making sure I got it all, then simply cropped it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, I know from experience it isn't that easy. You had to be dead center with line of sight perpendicular to the canvas, right? Did you measure, or just judge it by eye? And what's the range of the lens on that relatively inexpensive digital camera? Not a DSLR?
          As your many well-proportioned and framed photographs that have appeared on Moristotle & Co. have already suggested, YOU seem to be a visual artist perhaps on a level akin to Shirley's.

      Delete
  3. Goodness, thanks for the complements, Morris. You are right about being spot on with the angle of the picture taking. I do work hard at that. Sometimes it takes me several takes to get it just right. I watch very carefully the lines N.S.E.and West as I try holding my camera still at the close range.
    No, not a DSLR, just a, what I call a snap shit camera that would probably only cost $60 in America. I wonder if I should say it's a Samsung? In my opinion, they have the best color outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Talent and HARD WORK. Thanks for confirming my estimation of your graphic achievement.

      Delete
  4. After viewing some of Jakes work on this site I feel I am very lucky to have my on memento of our meeting at Walkamin.
    Thanks
    Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Bear and Dawn, very much. I have passed on your kind words to my wife and best friend.

    ReplyDelete