Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Nothing happens by accident," he said

"You're a plantiff's lawyer?" I said to the snappily dressed young black man facing me from the port side of the Chapel Hill bus this morning on my way to work. His brown loafers shined, his socks looked expensive, his light-weight sports jacket possibly tweed.
    "No," he said, "but it's an honor to have you say so."
    "So," I said, "you're not in the UNC Law School?"
    "No," he said, "I'm in Health Care."
    "You said it would be an honor to be a plantiff's lawyer, though," I said; "could you have missed your calling?"
    "It could be," he said. "Nothing happens by accident." And he tapped his shoulder, which I understood to suggest that he believed my remark might have been arranged by his guardian angel.
    "Ah," I said, "hmm."
    "This conversation might appear in a book someday," he said.
    "Shall I tell you my name, then?" I said, "so you can identify whom it was with?"
    He reached out his hand and said his first name. It sounded Arabic, or Muslim.
    "Morris Dean," I said. "And your name, does it have an apostrophe?"
    "My last one does," he said, and said his whole name.
    "Are you a retired professor?" he asked.
    I smiled. I always love to be asked that question by a young person. "No," I said. "I work up here at UNC General Administration, where President Ross's office is."
    "The Spangler Center," he said. "I know it."
    "You've been there?"
    "No, but I'm at Harvard, and Dick Spangler has an office there."
    At my stop outside the Spangler Center, we both rose and shook hands again. I repeated his name.
    He repeated mine, too. In case he needed to remember it for his book?
    "Good meeting you," he said.
    And I bounded off the bus with a little more energy than usual, today's log just handed to me, as though by angelic intervention.

3 comments:

  1. You fooled me. I was expecting some thoughts on the assertion that nothing happens by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts on that have pretty well been aired here (elsewhere on Moristotle). I chose to leave it open to conjecture why I bounded off the bus with more than my usual energy. One possibility, though, is that the incident had (without effort or research on my part) just provided the day's log.
        There may be a reference to the young man in today's log, which I am about to cobble together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, I just added a bit at the end, to exploit the lovely irony I just realized was lurking there. (I noticed it when I took the concluding link from today's log about Christopher Hitchens's thoughts on terminal illness in the general sense, and read yesterday's log once more.)

    ReplyDelete