Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Every Field of Paradise (a poem)

By Ralph Earle

[Previously published in StorySouth, Summer 2015, and in The Way the Rain Works (Sable Books, 2015). Republished here by permission of the author.]





In the moment between day’s
end and settling into sleep,
things that have broken
vanish in a glowing sphere


around the brass Victorian
lamp my neighbor Ed gave us
as a wedding present, turned
on his lathe in the falling-down barn

behind our houses, where I
rambled through alfalfa and clover
in the pulse of crickets, under miles
of spilling stars encircling me

like the vision of paradise that day
I felt life leave my dog and saw him
run gladly through the endless green,
his spine harboring a bullet. Notice how

I have avoided speaking of the day
we met. I am tired of complaining
about your black gaze. You were
the dream girl become flesh.

You made a lamp out of a wine bottle
filled with lentils, split peas, garbanzos,
for the bedside table I built of plywood
and glued cork. We were just starting out.


Copyright © 2018 by Ralph Earle

2 comments:

  1. A curious mixture of joy and sorrow. Thanks for a thoughtful morning coffee Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger, thanks for putting words to a quality that I think you will find runs throughout the poems of The Way the Rain Works: “a mixture of joy and sorrow.”

      Delete