Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, July 20, 2018

The art of acrylic pouring

And women are the change

By Linda K. Stout

I have enjoyed seeing Susan C. Price’s artwork on Moristotle & Co. Abstract painting as Susan does it is also an interest of mine, but much more difficult for me to do than it seems to be for Susan. I still pursue it, as well as making stained glass and collages. I have lots to learn.
    I am in a stage of aging that has permitted me to stop doing anything out of obligation, to start seeking pleasure in any way I feel it, and to be the introvert that I am. Pursuant to this philosophy, I realize I do not take pleasure in preparing my art photos and writing about them. I take pleasure in doing the art and sharing it quickly and simply with a few friends, usually on Facebook. I give it away to those who like it and I don’t promote it.
[click to enlarge image]
    Nevertheless, at Moristotle’s request, I was pleased to provide a few photos of my work in acrylic pouring for display here. Each canvas is 12" square. The diptych is 12" x 25". I think that each of these works is beginning to show that I have developed some control over the medium, which is always the goal, at least in the beginning.
    I began doing acrylic pouring shortly before leaving for four months on a long voyage (stopping in 24 countries in Europe, Africa, Malaysia, the Middle East, and Asia, and including Australia and New Zealand). Since returning home I am happily continuing to explore how to control the process better.




Moristotle was not only willing, but actually enthusiastic to have me include with my artwork an invitation to everyone reading this to view a short film that I produced, Women Are the Change, which is the story of sub-Saharan African girls and how educating them can change everything. Africa is poised for sweeping change, and educated women are its agents, the mothers of a new Africa. The women in the film grew up as ordinary girls, struggling with traumas of war, loss of innocence, and obstacles of culture, and yet they are now extraordinary women – educated and giving back to their communities. The intended audience is girls in sub-Saharan Africa, to show them women who overcame the same sorts of issues that make it difficult for them to pursue an education.
    The website “Women Are the Change” and the Facebook page “Women Are the Change: Arising Together” link to a trailer for the film. The website sells copies of it, but you can watch it with my compliments on Vimeo’s website, where you will need the password: bethechange. The filming began at New Mexico State University and went on to include a 24,000-mile trip around sub-Saharan Africa to Ghana, Mozambique, and Malawi. The film includes interviews and scenes in rural villages showing how educated women are giving back to their communities. With only a tiny percentage of girls in sub-Saharan Africa making it to college – or even knowing someone who has – I fervently hope that the film will inspire an acceleration of college attendance among them.
    My motivation in producing and sharing the film is to inspire girls and women to have a wider view of their place in the world, to become leaders and policy makers. Any of those of you who visit the website and view the film, who know of organizations that work to encourage girls to stay in school, you are welcome to share the film with those organizations, and they may use it to further their outreach.


    If you would like to talk with me about the work of Women Leading Change, LLC, my telephone number is (970) 424-6504.

Copyright © 2018 by Linda K. Stout

3 comments:

  1. From Linda this morning:

    This morning, as I read this again, I felt moved to brag a bit about my African “daughters” in the film. They have all completed MSc degrees. One has completed her PhD and another is at work on hers (at Michigan State University). Another has moved to Kenya for a job, and the remainder are working in their home countries. I spent an intense month with them at New Mexico State University before deciding to film them at home. You can imagine how attached we are to each other, in spite of living in many countries. Chikondi’s two younger sisters are now studying at NMSU as a result of her having had a great experience there. I will drive down (from Colorado) to see them in the fall. They all continue to enrich my life greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the plug, Linda:-). And thanks for the important work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Create, create, create from a place inside us that we don't always fully understand is SO incredibly fulfilling! Keep on keeping on, Linda. Vic & Shirley

    ReplyDelete