Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Monotonous Late Night Boredom

By Blake Adamson














I sit on my side of the bed and watch her
Watch her, watch her

She wears nothing but the fishnet stockings
Nothing, nothing


But that; it was for our anniversary
In this, our cramped, cramped apartment

All splintery floorboards and creaking springs
Creaking, creaking

I hold a cigarette between my fingers, even though I said I’d quit
Smoking, smoking

Her bare chest rises and falls evenly
Rises and falls, rises and falls

She’s tired; and who wouldn’t be; so am I
Tired, tired

I take a draw from the cigarette, looking at the NO SMOKING sign she got me as a joke last year
Ha, Ha

Nobody told it would be this bad; a subway rumbles past
Rumble, rumble

The heat’s busted and so is the AC, so now it’s just cold
Cold, cold

And sticky from what we were doing; she’s tired
So very, very tired

But I can’t sleep; it’s all from the worries
Worry, worry

Will I ever be a father? A good one?
Worry, worry

Will I get the rent on time?
Worry, Worry

What’s my brother doing now?
Worry, worry

And what does she think of all this?
Worry, worry

She’s tired
So very, very tired

And so am I


Copyright © 2020 by Blake Adamson
Blake Adamson is an aspiring writer who has written for fanzine blogs and maintains fandom-related blogs on both Tumblr and Archive of Our Own. He currently lives in Jefferson City, Missouri, with his family while trying to complete a novel or novella-length story, a feat which he compares to passing kidney stones.

7 comments:

  1. About as powerful, as trance-casting a poem as I have ever read. Maybe the most powerful, most entrancing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another excellent piece of work. The repetition works well and the set up of the apartment--you can actually feel the anguish of the wannabee father.

    Thanks, Blake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I hadn’t picked up on any anguish about becoming a father (the possibility that he might not become one), but read the thought as, I guess, more “in passing.” Thanks, Michael, for prompting me to read again!

      Delete
  3. I too loved the repetition reminiscent of the old blues men and women repeating the last phrase as if to say 'Hear it well because there's a lot more of that kind of pain going on."
    like a throbbing forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm most of all going to miss not reacting live and in person with you and Cory at our monthly poetry read/workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, have the workshops ended? Have you moved away? Oh, wait! You’re sequestering yourself because of the coronavirus threat, or the workshops have been postponed because of it! Well, anyway, there’s a lot to write about there, for the hoped-for resumption of “normal times.”

      Delete
    2. Or are the workshops continuing, but online rather than face-to-face?

      Delete