Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, January 31, 2021

All Over the Place:
I Just Want to See How the Drunks
on Ash Street Are Doing

By Michael H. Brownstein

When my county became a red zone in the wake of the pandemic, I already knew the answer. Of course, this is my personal opinion. I live in the entertainment zone of my town. This means bars and restaurants with bars. It does not mean theater or dance or creativity. It simply means places for people to drink and get drunk. One of the managers of one of the businesses came down with Covid-19. He was driven to the hospital by another employee – neither wore a mask. He stayed home a couple of days and then he began going outside. He even entered the bar where he works. Even now he does not look that healthy.
    The Board of Health announced it was no longer going to track individuals. All of that would be done on a voluntary basis. I asked one of the city people in the know and was told that this was how it was going to be. Keeping businesses open even with infected people working there.
    And get this – the health department reported to one of my friends who called in and asked that waitstaff in restaurants with the virus were highly unlikely to pass it on to customers. That’s why my area remained open. Shortly after that there were a few large parties, crowds of diners where the Covid-19 man worked, and then the numbers in my county began to rise.
    We wear masks to throw out the garbage, to walk the dogs, whenever we go outside. You must remember our governor – who won re-election – never wore a mask and actually met close-up and personal at a great number of crowded events in my state. That said, here’s a short work that has been published more than once on the Internet and in a couple of journals, but I think it might find interest in the readers of Moristotle & Co.


I Just Want to See How the Drunks 
on Ash Street Are Doing

What are you having? The bartender asks when I walk in.
    I do not want anything, I answer. I just want to see how the drunks on Ash Street are doing.
    Some of the drunks I know. I know them by car or I know them by disposition. Others I know by face and apartment. I don’t know names. I’m not a good old kind of boy, the kind with a friendly smile and cruel demeanor behind shadows of darkening eyes. I’m not a small talking kind of guy. Once we get past the weather report, I have little to nothing more to say. How’s the rehabbing coming? How’s the job? What’re you drinking? These questions are not me.
    I do not mean anything by saying I just want to see how the drunks on Ash Street are doing. I do not say it out of anger or concern. I just say it the same way a poet writes a line into his journal that came from nowhere and he does not know how to explain what it means or what it is about or even what motivated it to come from his head to his hand, from his pen to his paper. I say it, and once the words enter the room, they float from booth to booth, bar stool to bar stool. Somehow they make their way to the back of the bar where the television begins to blink, go to static, and then the pictures and words crumble into puzzle pieces, angles in a broken mirror, and freezes.
    What the hell, the bartender mutters.
    Everyone looks at me.
    Then the television corrects itself.
    I let myself out the door and onto the street where the snow is just beginning to fall and the air forms clouds ahead of me as I walk to the next bar – the one exactly next door – where I do not want anything. I just want to see how the drunks on Ash Street are doing.


Copyright © 2020 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s volumes of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else and How Do We Create Love?, were published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018 & 2019, respectively.

11 comments:

  1. That hint of supernatural or telepathic forces is right on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madness is everywhere. Too bad it has to take so many others with it.

    And your story/prose poem – excellent and engaging.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all get kooky ideas now and again; I think how far we indulge them is an indication of depth of mind, of analysis, not to mention eccentricity and intellectual curiosity. Not knowing what we are really looking for, who can imagine what we might find? Being eccentric, curious and imaginitive, I find such indulgences make my life more interesting, and others who do so make my life more interesting as well. The kind of folks who make life worth living. Thanks for a great kooky idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger, what’s “kooky” about any of this? Seriously, I don’t understand.

      Delete
    2. What I meant was the kooky idea of going from bar to bar just to see how the drunks are doing. They truly are a different bird, the types who sit in bars a good portion of their live, which they shorten by drinking like fish.

      Delete
  4. I wish I had come up with that line first. I think mine might have twisted in a slightly different direction, but I love what you did with it. A bit jealous, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this piece--a lot, but I'm wondering about the intro story: Was I the only one interested in the breakdown in Brownstein's town that made the covid 19 pandemic even worse than it was? How can a restaurant even think to allow one of its workers to come to work with the virus? Why did no one comment on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would someone say, Lennie, to readers who, like us, already KNOW? With respect, you’re one member of the choir asking a no-brainer of its other members....

      Delete
  6. If starting-in my opinion--the covid 19 uproar in my town, was not enough--now there are allegations of the inappropriate--and it's always inappropriate--use of the n word to describe the people who live on the other side of the street by the owner of the place of business. On my side of the street, we are 100% integrated. I always had a great distaste for food prepared by racists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More on the alleged racist rant by the owner coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael Richardson via Michael H. Brownstein and MoristotleMonday, June 21, 2021 at 10:09:00 PM EDT

    I came across this site after searching for "problems on Ash Street in Jefferson City, MO." I believe there is a terrible problem with drunks on this street.... And it all starts with the source. I just moved here recently and on my very first night, after moving all day, I was tired and hungry. I knew Prison Brews was right down the street so I walked down, walked in, and asked the bartender for a menu. He said, "The kitchen is closed." Disappointed, I said in a calm voice that the owners should really put a sign up stating the kitchen hours. All of the sudden a woman at the end of the bar in a slurred voice said, "You heard the man. Now, either buy a drink or get the F out." I responded like anyone would and said, "Excuse me?" She then said, "I’m the F'ing owner. Now, get the F out." Before I could finish my sentence of, "You can't talk to me like that," she told me to "Go back across the street with the N****RS." I told her she was way out of line, but before I could say another word she told the bartender to call the cops, and her entourage surrounded me. I quickly realized they would tell the cops I refused to leave, so I left immediately. Before I could finish walking ONE block to my place, FOUR cop cars surrounded me. Pretty fast response time. About a week later, someone yelled obscenities into my daughter’s window. I called the police. ONE showed up – almost 2 hours later. So, yes, I seem to have noticed a problem with the drunks on Ash Street. But clearly the police and city DO NOT CARE.

    ReplyDelete