Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, January 15, 2021

“Never met one I didn’t like”

Excerpt from one of my books

By Tom Harley

In the ministry one evening in upstate New York, I approached a man about to launch his hobbyist drone. I told him I had never seen one up close and he invited me to watch. It took off. He guided it up and over the street, over the rooftop of the neighbor’s house, and I saw in his viewfinder what the drone saw. Yes! There it was! As he suspected, his first mini-drone had come down over the house and was stuck in the gutter.
    “It’s just a cheap little thing,” he said finally of the lost drone. He decided to let it remain just where it was. How would he retrieve it anyway? Perhaps his neighbor would be peeved at his flying a drone overhead, as though spying. He guided his big drone back and it landed obediently at his feet.
    I hadn’t said a word as to who I was, and he hadn’t asked. With mother drone safe and sound, and only a chick lost in the neighbor’s gutter, he said to me: “You’re a Jehovah’s Witness, right? They’re fine people. I never met one I didn’t like.”
    I decided to let things remain just the way they were, like his baby drone left in the gutter. What could I have added? He had nailed it. We are fine people. When searching the field of religion, look for those who are collectively maligned but individually praised.


Copyright © 2021 by Tom Harley
Tom Harley, who has also been known as Tom Sheepandgoats, in association with the blog “Sheep and Goats,” lives in Rochester, New York. He is the author of several books whose titles you can see on his Amazon author’s page.

5 comments:

  1. What a great tale and you told it so wonderfully, full of love and appreciation of others' POV. The drone was such a great metaphor. I appreciate any contemporary writer who includes modern technology into their ethical worldview!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this. My wife and I stopped in on this fellow several months later. He led me into his basement where his son and he were running a “mission”—that’s what they called it. One huge computer monitor and one wide TV served as viewfinder for their drone which was several miles away exploring the terrain of a county park. These two truly were enthusiasts.

      Delete
  2. The story of aerial daring-do brought back my own Eye In The Sky experiences as an award-winning cinematographer who spent half his career hanging out of a helicopter. You will find few experiences short of combat, equal for terror and exhilaration, as hanging precariously from the door of a Bell Jet Ranger. meters away from the site of the Donner Tragedy! I wish I'd transferred that one to digital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-75TQA1Hx8&t=305s

    My aerial exploits begin at 4:50

    ReplyDelete