Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, July 30, 2022

From “The Scratching Post”:
Medievalism, Part 1

By Ken Marks

[Opening from the original on The Scratching Post, July 27, 2022, published here by permission of the author.]

Marjorie Taylor Greene is a polarizing, far-right politician who represents Georgia’s 14th congressional district. She peddles conspiracy theories, tosses off racist remarks, ardently opposes abortion, immigration, and gay rights, and happily serves as a Trump echo chamber. But you probably knew all that already. What you certainly don’t know is that she called me last week and asked that I interview her and publish the transcript on this blog.* I was dumbstruck.
    I stammered something incredibly insincere, like “I’m flattered that you thought of me,” and recovered with, “But our political views are poles apart. How could my name have entered your mind?” Her answer was another surprise. “I want people to know me better. And I realized that what I have to say would be much better received if it was reported by someone who, politically, has practically nothing in common with me.” Then she flattered me with, “People tell me that your commitment to fairness is as strong as anyone who writes about politics. That was all I needed to hear.” “True words,” I said, laughing, “but you should expect some hardball questions.” “Of course, Ken,” she replied.
    We met on a Saturday in my San Jose office. I was impressed that she had flown out to see me, and thanked her for it. We chatted about her flight and the miserable summer heat. When the smalltalk trailed off, I motioned at my voice recorder and asked, “Shall we?”
_______________
[Read the whole Part 1 of the interview on The Scratching Post.]


Copyright © 2022 by Ken Marks
Ken Marks was a contributing editor with Paul Clark & Tom Lowe when “Moristotle” became “Moristotle & Co.” A brilliant photographer, witty conversationalist, and elegant writer, Ken contributed photographs, essays, and commentaries from mid-2008 through 2012. Late in 2013, Ken birthed the blog The Scratching Post. He also posts albums of his photos on Flickr.

1 comment:

  1. After reading Ken’s interview with MTG, I told him that it was for me the most can’t-put-it-downable scratching of his that I had yet read. “Can Ms. Greene really be that articulate, that grammatical, that complete-sentences cogent? You succeeded in bringing out some admirable qualities in her, made her seem a right lady (pun unintended, but subsequently approved). Will we have to wait a whole month for Part 2?”
        Ken replied that I “hit on the most troublesome part of the post. I can make demented arguments that support her ideas, but I can’t create her Archie Bunker mode of delivery. Maybe if I took another month, I could make a credible stab at it — probably not.
        I’m not likely to deliver Part 2 until late August. I know what subjects I’ll touch on, but there are always problems that blindside me. I’m still deciding whether we conclude amicably or she throws her chair at me.”

    ReplyDelete