Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Story Challenge #2

Featuring
an unnamed character in first person


By Moristotle

Thanks to Contributing Editor Paul Clark (aka motomynd) for today’s challenging beginning.
    In my well-informed opinion, motomynd is as skilled a writer as can be in devising arresting openings, and I have no doubt that he could devise enough of them to keep this column going for as long as we have writing readers. Or just readers who like a good beginning….
    Your challenge is to continue the narrative begun below, revealing what has happened and how the character will deal with his situation. Tell the story in an engaging way and come to a satisfying – and hopefully surprising – conclusion, yet one that a careful reader might have foreseen. Go wherever the story (and your muse) may lead you.
    If you know my email address, send your submission to it, either in the body of your email or as an attachment. Alternatively, use the Contact Form in our sidebar. We hope to hear from you before forever. Good luck!
    Here’s Paul’s challenging beginning:
If you were confused by that unfinished email I sent, and thought I was dead, I apologize for upsetting you. The explosion didn’t kill me, but it took some time for me to learn how to type by holding a stylus in my teeth and punching one key at a time. They say I will never be able to talk again; my wife is no doubt thrilled.
    And to think it all started as a joke.
    To see other Story Challenge columns for their challenging beginnings, go to this column’s Story Challenge tag.


Copyright © 2022 by Paul Clark & Moristotle

1 comment:

  1. motomynd, challenging beginning #2 is so captivating, I’ve half a mind to take up the challenge myself. But I may need to research explosives and detonators to go in the direction my muse is nudging me….

    ReplyDelete