Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, January 21, 2023

Tempera (a sonnet)

By Eric Meub

We’re at the moment when the charming flirt
Becomes a god: one fingertip cavorts
With buttons at the bottom of my shirt,
The other with the zipper on your shorts.

But love’s too Botticellian for this.
Let’s pause our Primavera now, before
The dance-encircling Graces of our bliss
End up disheveled on the forest floor.

Is it not sweet to let a little paint
Preserve your blushes as the tints arise,
And ink the lineaments, however faint,
That trace the blind abandon in your eyes?

A moment can be just a tiny thing
Or large enough for canvasses of spring.

“Primavera,” by Sandro Botticelli, late 1470s or early 1480s
Tempera on panel, 80" × 124", Uffizi Gallery, Florence, Italy

Copyright © 2023 by Eric Meub
Eric Meub is a California poet & architect.

7 comments:

  1. I'm jealous--third stanza very well done and last two lines brilliant. Great job! I look forward to seeing more of your wor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see your work again, Eric. As always, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your continuing support and encouragement for Morisco's writers. Thank you, Roger.

      Delete
  3. Eric, this weblog will have a place for your work as long as it has any places at all. I'm particularly fortunate in being your immediate contact here, because I have also read your sonnets for February, March, and April, and I can assure Michael, Pat, and Roger that they are equally well done, brilliant, splendid.
        And as a sort of special-treat hint to them and others reading this comment, thank you for sending me the first 40 pages or so of your 7,000-line poem “Nimrod,” which takes off, as I understand it, from the Tower of Babel story from the Old Testament's Book of Genesis [Genesis 11:1–9]. (For a quick refresher, I just perused the Encyclopedia Britannica's entry for the Tower of Babel.)
        What I meant by “hint” was that they and others might hope to see some excerpts of “Nimrod” at some point. I know, I know, you seemed reluctant to foist “Nimrod” on anyone, but I brush that aside as evidence that your humility and modesty remain. I am confident that my divulging this hint will not go amiss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Michael, Pat, Roger and Morris for the supportive comments. I am on the road a lot and don't get to check in as often as I would like. I am so appreciative! Eric

    ReplyDelete