Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, May 3, 2013

Fish for Friday

Editor of Moristotle & Co. (at 8-1/2)
flanked by his beautiful, lively sisters
I found a poor copy of this photo of you and your four sisters, Anna, Flo, me [Patsy], and Mary [L to R]. It's labeled, "Kings River July 28, 1951." I don't have the original that I can find. Maybe Steve has it? [Yes, he did.]

I have had a hard time with Thanksgiving and Christmas the last few years. Then I feel guilty about it. One of our children has hosted these holidays for years now. I have come to actually dread them, because there are so many people, and usually some dogs, so there are not only lots of loud, wild children running around but also dogs! Almost everyone is younger than we are and the grandchildren pay absolutely no attention to me when they have kids to play with. The good part is lots of good food, which is enjoyed by all, and I bring some dishes along like everyone else. About a week before Christmas we are invited to watch them decorate the tree, and that's just us, and this we enjoy. Unless I can come up with a really good excuse, I am sure we will keep enduring the big holiday get-togethers with them all, and, anyway, we would probably feel sorry for ourselves if we stayed home alone.

Make what you will of the "Viral Video" clip of a dog "mourning the loss of her best friend" [on Yahoo News]...and give some thought to what your reaction to it might say about you....

A shotgun is one of the most fearsome close-range weapons ever created. Even in Africa, hunting guides frequently use them in dealing with wounded lions and other dangerous animals at point-blank range in heavy brush. The one rule they always keep in mind is "never let your target get between you and the muzzle of the gun." To enforce that edict they often wrap their non-trigger hand around the barrel of the gun, just an inch behind the muzzle. If that seems a bit of overkill, go to "Victim Fights Back During New Orleans Robbery" [Yahoo News] and watch what happens when this would-be robber gets too close to his intended victim.

If you think watching people run is about as exciting as watching your grass grow, here is a video that may change your mind. The graphics quality isn't that great, but the "Enter Sandman" soundtrack by Metallica makes up for that—crank up those speakers!
    To set up the plot, it is important that you watch the runner wearing yellow and maroon colors and running in fifth place at the start of the clip. At that point the runners are entering the third lap of a four-lap, one-mile race. The reason the video notes the crowd laughed when the man begins to sprint is that he breaks away on the third lap, not the fourth. Spectators rightfully think he is just another runner who miscounted the laps, went into his "kick" way too early, and will fade long before the end of the race. The graphic that says "that was a 56" means he just ran that lap in 56 seconds, well under the four-minute-mile pace, which gives a clue to the rest of the story...




Your blog recently featured an entertaining story about hiking Machu Picchu, so I thought your readers might find the article "NFL player retires after hiking Machu Picchu" interesting. Tagline: "Scott Fujita sent his resignation from the top of the Peruvian Andes after 11 seasons in the pros."

Loved your interview on Wednesday. I, for one, miss your creative internet skills here. No one else seems to be very interested in helping us non-technical types, so maybe I should take some courses too.
    Thanks for keeping me on your list of contacts. Don’t want to lose touch with you!


Thanks for keeping up with me. I have been swamped with work. The new foal arrived on April 10 and I pastured two other horses—all of which has added to my work load temporarily. Was just thinking about you last night. I will get to the posts this weekend as my days are eaten away by chores and obligations.


Wow, I can't believe the timing. You've popped into my head numerous times the past week. I've been wanting to go to your blog to see what's happening but haven't had a chance (my husband was out of town, and I was the parent-on-duty...gads, I don't know how single parents do everything by themselves. Whew). Anyway, it's so good to hear from you.
    Yes, retirement...I'd best get back to work as I'm not retired. I'll try to email you again soon (and check your blog). Gotta run. Thanks very much for thinking of me. I look forward to hearing more about what you're doing.


Limerick of the Week:
Of all the things that mean so much,
Like wind and rain and sun and such,
    Not least depends
    On: with our friends,
Both old and new, we keep in touch.


_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Morris Dean

Please comment

3 comments:

  1. So you were the little brother they would play dress with.(Smile)








    0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and our mother too! I hope none of THOSE photos are extant!

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your blog. I love that picture, just wish we could see your face better. You were so cute.
    Still are. I liked your poem. You are really good at that. Love.

    ReplyDelete