Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, May 18, 2013

The story of my firing

When steam became a mineral

By Ed Rogers

Okay, about my firing from the Lake County Chamber of Commerce, which got mentioned in the comments on my article Tuesday ["Tuesday Voice: My time in Lake County, California"].
    But first some background. I have always believed growth did not mean you had to destroy everything and start over. I protested and marched against so many things in the sixties, I don’t remember them all, except that our protest never changed anything. However, once you start standing up for what you believe, it's hard to stop.
    I call my time in Cali my Republican years. I became a businessman in Clearlake, California for all the wrong reasons (my first wife), but I did very well. I owned two businesses, was Finance Chairman on the local Water Board, started and was elected president of the Business Association, and was a member of every organization in town. I tell you this so it will be easier to understand why the Chamber job was just the next step in the transformation of a street radical into a capitalist.

Its current website image
    A manager of any Chamber of Commerce works for the board, which is elected by the members. You can never please everyone but you keep your job if you please 51%. This was something I learned early on in the game. I went through four board presidents, each of whom (unbeknownst to the others on the board) intended to undertake the job of getting me fired. They resigned in turn when they could not get the job done. I had 51% of the board on my side, but the other 49% spent long hours trying to come up with ways to get rid of me.

Satellite photo of Clear Lake and Indian Valley Reservoir
The members at the southeast end of Clear Lake—the name of the town was Clearlake—wanted condos to be built on the Pomo burial grounds...jobs, money, and growth. They and the builders were not happy with the hold-up, to say the least. I tried to tell the investors, with their three-million dollars, they could build somewhere else. There were some powerful (money) people in the group and none of them was my friend.
    Then there were the fish. A family lake needs fish that are easy to catch. Small Mouth Bass are very hard to catch. They require a special kind of fisherman, and the people who fish for them feel they are the elite. These people were no longer my friends.
    By now I’m sure you see where this is heading. I had found out that a street radical can never truly become a capitalist. I was in a position, for the first time in my life, where I could bring about change. I was pulled to the left each time, but to my surprise, I still had 51% of the board on my side.
    You see, the other part of the Chamber job was the promotion of Lake County as a tourist destination. I attended boat shows from LA to Seattle. I was on the road for two months and doubled the number of shows for less money than before. The 51% owned resorts and included a banker who financed the resorts. There was a county board, whose elected members oversaw the TOT money (Transit Occupancy Tax). If you stayed in a resort in Lake County, the county got a cut and the Chamber had always been the agency to use the money. Unlike those before me, I kept a record of the money I spent. The Chamber’s dues and the TOT were spent in different ways—one to advertise the county and the other for Chamber projects. The TOT board wanted a say in how all of the Chamber's money was spent. I refused and since a new board would be seated after the elections, I wasn't that worried about them.
    Then there were the farmers. They were big land owners and I’m sure they are the big developers around the lake today. But back then there was little development going on in the hills. The oil companies were the only developers and they were drilling geothermal wells in the hills south of the lake.

View of Clear Lake and Mount Konocti from CA Highway 175
    The farmers tried to get more money from the oil companies than the oil companies wanted to pay. Big Oil did an end-run around the farmers and had Congress declare geothermal a mineral. The government owned the mineral rights. The farmers had lost but they would not go without a fight. Every application was contested in court. The oil companies were losing millions of dollars because of delays and court costs. The Chamber had always stood with the farmers. My feelings: they were a bunch of greedy bastards and deserved what they got.
    Geothermal can be a clean source of energy or an environmental nightmare. The difference is a few million dollars. Once the steam is tapped there is no way to turn it off. Each well has a large cooling tower. The pollutants are removed and clean stream is released. The problem comes when the power plant is shut down. Then the steam is vented straight from the well head.
    I became friends with one of the oil people and began to discuss the problem of the vented stream, which had killed trees all the way to Oregon. She told me that a by-pass pipe could be laid to carry the steam around the power plant but it would add over two million dollars to each well and the companies would not spent the money.
    She was having a hard time getting a permit to drill and had been in court for months. I asked her, If the Chamber endorsed her efforts and spoke in favor of the permit at the next hearing, could she not point out to her boss that with the help of the Chamber they could use the money saved to build the by-pass pipe?
    They committed to the by-pass pipe, and the Chamber gave their endorsement. I spoke at the hearing where the permit was granted. It opened the door for the other companies to do the same. Everybody was happy but the farmers, who blamed me for allowing the oil companies to drill on their land.
    Then came the condos and the Indian burial site. It was what you might call the last nail in the coffin lid.

The groups came together with the TOT board. They sent a list of questions to be answered by the Chamber’s board (me). The night before the TOT meeting, where we were to answer the questions, the president of our board called a meeting. She said it was to discuss our answers, so few people showed up. I was asked to leave the room. Not long after, the banker who was the only friend I had at the meeting came out and said they were taking a vote whether to fire me and he was not going to be a part of it. But all they needed for a quorum was six members: they took the vote and came out and asked me for the keys to the office.
    The next day at the meeting, each question asked was answered with the statement, "Mr. Rogers no longer works for the Chamber of Commerce."
    I still had 51% of the board on my side and they wanted me back. But the fun had gone out of the battle and I was a little glad it was over.
    My marriage was pretty much over also, so I gave my wife the house on the golf course, the sports car, and the business and packed a suitcase and caught a Greyhound to Memphis.
    Sounds like a country song, doesn't it? If anyone might think it a sad song, don’t. I live in Costa Rica with my wonderful new wife and as I look back on things like what I just described, I realize they were but waystations along the trail. I can assure you, I’m happier than the people who fired me.
    Two of them lost their businesses the next year. The president who thought she would get my job didn’t, and she was fired by the owner of the largest resort in the county (a friend of mine). Another was in a bad car wrack. And the last two were old women who didn’t even know what was going on.
    That's the long and the short of my firing.
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Ed Rogers

Please comment

9 comments:

  1. Ed, what an entertaining yet painful read. The story of your chamber involvement sounds too much like most chamber horror stories I have known over the years - except you escaped mostly intact and apparently didn't wind up in court over some trumped up silliness. I hope you never stop standing up for what you believe and in some way always come out on top in the fight.

    Something that you and other West Coast folks need to get over is the feeling that your protesting and marching never accomplished anything. Please give yourselves more credit.

    Without the furor started on the West Coast, the big Washington, DC protests would never have erupted and the Vietnam War would have lasted years or decades longer. Without the environmental movement spawned there, we in the East would have never gotten so worked up about Earth Day. The protesting and activism in the West may not have been as effective as a lot of you wished, but we didn't know that back East - so we went out and tried to keep pace with the myth. Your efforts may not have had all the impact you hoped in California, but they started the momentum that cleaned up a lot of pollution, saved numerous rivers, inspired some quiet activism, and made many other huge changes in the East.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed, Thanks for this, truly! I am sorry that you no longer have any photos from those days in Lake County. Fully understandable. As you see, I figured out something, though not as good as it might have been. I am grateful. I hope that writing these stories of reminiscence was good for your spirit, good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Moto. However there were two things that ended the war in Nam. One was people like you, who day after day put their life on the line in order to get that one picture that could tell the real story. The American people saw those pictures night after night until they had had enough. The second was profit. The large corporations had made millions and people were beginning to ask how they did it. The war ended and so did the questions. They took the profit and lived for the next war. Yes I agree we did have a little impact on the environment, but only to the degree that it would be ten times worse today. We only slowed things down. I don't see any movement in Congress that will keep it slowed. So you can expect it to get worse not better.
    Do you remember a few years ago all the protest about the World Trade Organization(WTO). They were right. The WTO is a terrible Organization. It helps no one but the corporations that support it. But no one gives a damn. And whatever the protest pictures from the 60s seem to say---in truth, nobody gave a damn.
    Tree hugger, nigger lover, long haired faggots, and if you don't like it why don't you leave? And this was just our families. The others really hated us. We were then and still are today the 1%

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kono, you are of course correct about Americans questioning how corporations were making so much money from warfare, but I'm not sure the "faces of war" on newsstands and TV had all that much impact. When it got to the point that most people knew someone who had been killed overseas, I think that was the turning point. It is ironic that we probably need to bring back the draft, to increase the fighting force, to again get the public serious about avoiding going to war. Today hardly anyone knows someone who is actually in the military, so they don't mind sending a bunch of strangers off to do the dirty work. When the kid who grew up on your street gets killed, that matters. The kid who grew up two streets away doesn't matter.

    Many surprisingly smart people seem to think the WTO is the cutting edge of the 1975 movie 'Rollerball' becoming real life. They may be right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The draft was not a bad thing. Now however, the things the solder did, which did not entail combat, private corps. have the contracts to fill those jobs. Getting rid of the draft never was about right or wrong. As in all things follow the money.
    The picture of the So. Vietnam Officer shooting the prisoner in the head and the little girl, with clothes burned from her body, running after being Napalmed. These may not in themselves have stopped the war, but the supporters could no longer justify their support and without their voices others voices were heard. Why do you think there have been so few pictures of the last three wars. The corporations saw the power of one picture and how it can change the thinking of a Nation.
    Without the dogs in Alabama, Martin's words would have been limited to the few believers, but that one picture allowed his voice to be heard by millions.
    The corporations are not dumb, they moved to control what American people saw. And what better way then TV. That is why TV has changed the way we see the world. To watch TV today you would not know there is a war going on anywhere in the world. The subject now is how the First Lady is wearing her hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I think Paul Bloom's article on empathy in The New Yorker, which I review today, bears very significantly on what you say about the power of those photographs....

      Delete
  6. As a career writer and photographer, far be it from me to devalue the clout of words or photos, but I think we need to take into account the "dumbing down" and desensitizing that has occurred in our society between the Vietnam era and today.

    Television, especially color TV, was still basically a new technology then, so the medium and its color images had much more impact then than they do now. The first national color TV broadcast was a parade in the mid-1950s, and color TV did not become the standard until the late 1960s or early 1970s. When those graphic Vietnam images burst on the screen in full color, it was new and different, so people noticed. Plus, there were people like Walter Cronkite - who had achieved a near god-like status in our society - telling us this was important, so we knew it was so. In the years since, TV has become synonymous with gore and contrived "entertainment violence" intermixed with actual news broadcasts, to the point many people barely notice the difference. Add in several scandals that have discredited the various "talking heads" who succeeded Cronkite, the further desensitizing of the general public from years of playing violent video games, and you have to wonder how many modern TV viewers would even bother to notice one person being shot in the head. If they did take note of it, would they believe it was real, or care where it happened, or what it meant?

    The corporations and the politicians do recognize the risk of letting any negative imagery get loose - as proven by former president George W. Bush's decision to block the media from filming the flag-draped coffins of U.S. soldiers being sent home from Iraq and Afghanistan - but how much does it really matter? When most viewers care more about watching endless hours of TV shows about marginally talented singers possibly getting record contracts, than they care about watching even an hour of news a week to develop a basic grasp of who they should perhaps vote for, what difference does it make when worthy news images are blocked from broadcast?

    John Kerry had it right when he said, in effect, that our constitution gives Americans have the right to be ignorant if they so choose. Which means the masses have every right to speak out - and vote - based on misplaced empathy, general apathy, or just uninformed stupidity, if they so choose. The informed minority has its work cut out for it, if it is going to create any sort of positive change. And it is going to have to get a lot more creative than putting important news articles and photos on TV programs and websites that the majority of viewers never even bother to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tell if you are agreeing with me about Vietnam or if we are just both agreeing about the state of affairs today. (smile, we both win or maybe we both lose)
    Have you ever wondered how a few plantation owners talked all those poor whites into fighting for the owner's way of life. Hell, they had more in common with the slaves than the owners. Times haven't changed much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fear we are agreeing about the state of affairs today. Your previous point about corporate control of the media is well made; if we have a difference I guess it is that I refuse to make any excuses for anyone who chooses to be ignorant. The media and the powers behind it control the message, but they don't control the mind. People may have the media to use as an excuse for believing absurd dogma, but they don't have a justifiable reason to believe it.

    What the plantation owners managed then is about the same as what the NRA, the defense department, and politicians do today: find the one miniscule niche issue that overcomes volumes of logic, and exploit it. For a much better summation do a search for 'Steve Earle - Rich Man's War lyrics'

    An aside: My parents and siblings were born and raised in Upstate New York and I was born and raised in SW Virginia, so I have a painfully acute awareness of all sides of the Civil War. My dad was a Cornell guy and my next-door neighbor was a Washington & Lee grad - yes, where Robert E. Lee was president after the "late unpleasantness." All three of us used to go fishing in a 14-foot boat and I sat in the middle. By age ten I probably knew more about the Civil War and its enduring passions than did any teacher I ever had the rest of my school years.

    ReplyDelete