Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Thor's Day: Spirits

By Morris Dean

It's thrilling to suppose spirits alive
    and circling us in rocks and stars and trees.
Poets have fancied clouds could not but thrive
    to see daffodils dancing in the breeze,

​conjured gods at hearth where they were living,
    fabricated burning bushes speaking
out in tongues of flame expressly giving
    promises mankind was sorely seeking.

Feeling at one with spirits makes us high,
    as the numinous, glowing perfection
of a poem can that strikes and bids us try
    to find some music for its inflection.

But loony bins and churches have a place
    for those who actually believe that gnomes
and spirits nod at them and call and chase
    from rocks or clouds or trees, or even poems.
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Morris Dean

Comment box is located below

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Morris, for this wonderful synthesis of nature, poetry, and the origins of spirit-seeking. "Loony bins and churches" indeed! A welcome breeze after a month of Christmas carols. Are you going to tell us about the painting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric, I'm elated that you cited "loony bins and churches," which I myself feel is a keeper. I hoped the poem would convey the fact that it really did come to me (the whole thing except for the specific "inflection") in a flash of less than a minute's duration. I myself no longer get high from supposing that rocks or stars or clouds harbor spirits, but I got VERY HIGH in that minute of poetic inspiration, and remained fairly high while working out the word music. I was disappointed only that the poem didn't seem to want to be a sonnet!
          There I go, talking as though a spirit inhabits the poem!

      Delete
  2. I tend to assume that those who see "spirits" have had too much spirits, i.e. Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Guinness etc.

    ReplyDelete