Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, May 9, 2020

Poetry & Portraits: May

Drawing by Susan C. Price

May
By Eric Meub

Sweet friends, I never hear you once complain.
      You linger in your alabaster urn
Behind the jewelry box and the Guerlain.
      One evening, angel host, you’ll have your turn.


My vanity: the word’s a commonplace.
      I used to give philosophy a pass,
But every morning now I rise to face
      Ecclesiastes peering from my glass.

The ruin of allure, what’s that to me?
      How can Miss Austen, though, have nothing more
To say of Kitty at her vanity?
      Where are the chapters she was waiting for?

I make no promises. What can I say:
I won’t resort to you today? I may.


Copyright © 2020 by Susan C. Price & Eric Meub
Eric Meub, architect, lives and practices in Pasadena, the adopted brother of the artist, Susan C. Price. They respect, in their different ways, the line.

1 comment:

  1. I looked “Kitty” up in Jane Austen. A member of the Bennet family, in Pride and Prejudice:

    Catherine Bennet is the fourth of the five Bennet sisters, and is almost always called "Kitty" by her family and most intimate friends. Kitty is in the shadow of her youngest sister, Lydia, often simply repeating or supporting Lydia's own opinions.

    ReplyDelete