Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Side Story:
Why write political poetry?

With apologies to the 1961 American
musical romantic drama directed by
Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins
A comment on Michael H. Brownstein’s poem “Spring” prompted a question relative to his two political poems, “Welcome to the Masquerade Party” and “Death by Indecision.” The question is: Why do you write political poems? —Moristotle

Reply by Michael H. Brownstein
Why I Write Political Poetry

I was there chopping cotton for one dollar an hour, New Madrid, Missouri.
I was there when the tear gas canisters raged over the ground and sky, napkins with water and McDonald’s emergency breathing facilities, Washington, D.C.
I was there, dogs following at bay, blocking trailheads to the other side of the mountain, Glacier National Park, Montana.
I was there laughing with Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoffman at my letterman jacket and I did not steal the book, Chicago Seven Conspiracy Trial, Federal Court, Chicago, Illinois.
I was there on the public sidewalks during the great grape boycott, Niles, Illinois.
I was there hand stretched to hand, Hands Across America, Central Iowa.
I was there eveningsong, Maryland hill country.
I was there the night Citizens of America who did not understand what it is to be a Citizen of America threatened castration, Moratorium Against Viet Nam, Beaver, Pennsylvania.
I was there at the raid of Reba Place Commune, Evanston, Illinois.
I was there the dawn missionaries stole all of the brand new shoes from the thrift shop, grand opening, Berea, Kentucky.
I was there the night of the breaking of the window glass, Michigan Ave., Chicago,Illinois.
I was there testifying against the violent takeover of Ash Street, Jefferson City, Missouri.

And we became who we are in order to become what they wanted us to be.

I was with beauty and could not hold on, I saw the hollow of poverty and could not open my eyes, I understood the anger of the drug needle, I knew the scent of scarred tissue, I wandered through cold and heat, I felt the explosion before the completion of the violent, I breathed the shift in value.

I was there and I trespassed.
This poem was published in 2002 in Milk Poetry Journal, under the title, “November Evening Protest, Chicago, 2002.”

I was there, I trespassed, but I did not heal, I did not make a world better because of my presence, I did not help create a country that was more humane, more full of empathy, more full of true greatness even though I was there. Eighteen years after the above poem was published, we still have racism, severe poverty, violence, and a number of negatives that need to be changed into positives.
    Did I do enough? No. Can my writing help make this positive change happen? Yes, I truly hope so.
    It is because of my hopefulness that I write political poetry. All of us must try to be engaged as positive change agents. The last line of the poem above, if written today, would read, “I was there and I helped my country heal.” That is my hope in writing what I write almost two decades later. I would like more than anything for the last line to now be able to read: “We were there and we created a society worthy of our children and our grandchildren.”


Copyright © 2020 by Michael H. Brownstein & Moristotle

11 comments:

  1. Our music in the sixties was felled with poetry; it bound us together and maybe kept us from going crazy. I must admit the world is a lot crazier today than back then and we didn't think that could ever happen. The voice of the poet crying out in the darkness is sometimes the only voice that can be heard. Good on you Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My character Goines has recently been ruminating on the question of true-belief, or faith in religious contexts, but he thinks that true-believe may be the same thing as faith. We of course have the virus metaphor for true-believers' persistence in believing untrue things. Goines would love to gain insight into how a viral meme actually works, psychologically.
        In this connection, Goines learned, just this morning, that Paul the Apostle seems to have put his finger on a deep psychological truth in one of his letters to the early Christian communities. In Chapter 11 of his letter to the Hebrews, the first verse, he wrote: “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Get that: EVIDENCE of things not SEEN [by ordinary means of sense and science]. We see this operating in spades in the person of Donald Trump himself, whose faith in himself as the best, etc., seems to seem so real to him, clearly his belief itself must constitute some sort of “proof” to him. Here too, as in the case of viral memes, Goines seeks deeper insight.
        So, if you, Chuck (or anyone else reading this), HAS some ideas about these things, out with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We must never give up. Social justice comes in many ways and I believe your work--especially your poetry--is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Moristotle is pleased to believe, Deborah, that by publishing such work and other content, our blog is helping the cause. Thank you for endorsing the effort.

      Delete
  4. Michael,
    I find the strong political tradition of Whitman, Ginsberg, and Bob Dyaln wonderfully fulfilled in your poem. The specificity of actual history lands with the impact of an exploding shell. Its what Dylan is getting at in "Murder Most Foul." Go tell Neruda and Lorca you think political poetry is not poetry.

    What a frustration it is to be a thinking person in the world today! One need not go beyond Yeats's prescient description that "the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity" to know how screwed we are.
    All who choose to call ourselves poets and all who survive by the worship of words feel the frustration that "our words had forked no lightning." Michael's lament reminded me of Rilke's in his only Novel.

    After a detailed dissertation on how human consciousness has been assaulted on all sides by the most insidious manipulations imaginable Rilke concludes



    :

    "The first person to come forward who has had these disquieting thoughts must begin to do what has always been missed; he could be just anyone and it doesn’t matter in the least if he’s not the most suitable person: there’s simply no one else to do it. This young, insignificant foreigner, will have to sit himself down, five flights up and write day and night: yes, he will have to write; that’s what it amounts to.


    (…)

    Rainer Maria Rilke (Bohemia, 1875-1926) – from The Notebook of Malte Laurids Brigge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Bob! I can think of no higher endorsement or encouragement than one from Rilke. Let’s sit ourselves down and write!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I didn't get a chance to do a final proof before I published. Please correct any obvious errors.You can leave the obscure statements to their fate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, if you mean for me to edit/correct your comment, I cannot. I can’t even correct my own after it’s posted. What I have to do, and have done quite a few times, is copy the text, correct it offline, and then repost it, and follow-up by deleting the original comment. Anyone can do that, but do they want to take the trouble?

      Delete
  7. It is well your passion has not been moderated, Michael, not diluted with the ennui endemic to so many dedicated, lifelong reformers. After all the betrayal and disappointment, the shattered dreams and empty promises, your light still burns bright in the darkness. If the darkness is eternal, then the more eternally must we determine to shine our lights ever brighter to illuminate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for your most kind thoughts, insights and brilliance

    ReplyDelete