Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, August 23, 2020

All Over the Place: Can a Jew Join the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement (BDS)
against the State of Israel…


Or Can a Jew Be
Anti-Zionist and
Still Be a Jew?


By Michael H. Brownstein






Judaism is my mother – pure and simple –
not my ethnicity, my skin color, my nationality.
I never was a Zionist, but I was proud of Israel,
her history my history, her identity a piece of my identity,
and then I read a chapter in Carolyn Forché’s book

Twentieth-Century Poetry of Witness1 and everything I knew,
believed I knew, believed in, believed about me,
vanished into shadows of night. I tried to ignore it,
but a scab did not form, a scar did not make a permanent tattoo.
In the end you give in (I gave in) and then
you sleep and when you wake, there is no longer power to a myth.

There are always “ifs” in a rendering of history
and many sides to the same tale, even the same fiction.
The atrocities of the Israeli-Palestine Conflict –
The Nakba – have been documented, photographed,
displayed and archived – and still the great myth of Israel persists:

King David Hotel.2
The Christian village of Biram.2
Hula.2
Lydda.2
Deir Yasin.2
Safsaf.2
Eilabun.2
One hundred villages.
Two hundred.
Four hundred fifty.
A mother and her baby.2

We were the first terrorists, said Ben-Gurion, the leader of new Israel. The Jews were the first.2

This is why freedom of speech is valuable – this is why the written word is great –
this is why I, too, can join my Palestinian brothers and sisters and say enough is enough
no matter what the President of The United States claims – no law is greater than humanity’s –
so, yes, I offer my freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of choice
and join the BDS Movement with the blessings of Torah,
the moral lessons of my father and his father before him,
everything good within this world.
_______________
  1. Full title: Against Forgetting: Twentieth-Century Poetry of Witness , an anthology edited by Carolyn Forché. 1993 
  2. A history of the atrocities performed by Israel upon the Palestinians can be found in my book, Firestorm: A Rendering of Torah, a Books on BlogTM publication issued October 2012 by the Camel Saloon, from which this poem is adapted.

Copyright © 2020 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s volumes of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else and How Do We Create Love?, were published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018 & 2019, respectively.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Michael, for this brave statement, taking once again the side of right, whoever is on the side opposing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does one become that which he despises most? Zisling said in 1948 "Now Jews too have behaved like Nazis and my entire being has been shaken." Only 3 years after the end of WW II! How many times have we said that to this very day? The first anti-Zionist statement I ever heard was from my oldest brother, Don, a brilliant and thoughtful man, who said of the Killing Fields of Cambodia: "The Israelis say 'Never again!', but they sat on their hands while Pol Pot committed genocide, again. They apparently only meant 'never again' for the Jews." I believe a Jew can, in fact has a duty, to be an anti-Zionist. How could he, in good conscience, NOT be? And man, your book...my eyes bugged out. The wailing wall was from Palestinian children, not Jews? Their rallying cry was from a massacre they committed? I'd saly 'holy sh*t' but there is nothing holy about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long after I stopped believing in Moses or Jesus. Long after I stopped believing in God...I believed in the myth of Israel. From Exodus starring Paul Newman to Folk songs of Israel which blared 24/7 from my dorm room in the Kappa Sigma fraternity at Wabash College in 1959, I was fully indoctrinated in the myth of Israel. After all who could fail to sympathize with a contemporary David surrounded by swarthy, pagan, Arab Goliaths with sabers in their teeth?

    When did I stop believing in the myth of Israel? I don't know. One day I saw my faith in the myth was just that -- an unsupported faith. The first great relief that occurs once a pernicious belief has been jettisoned forever is one of freedom. Followed by pity for the victims of those still under the dominance of this violent and destructive belief. Michael Brownstein is about the only Jew I personally know (and I know a lot of Jews) who is no longer captive of the lie that is Israel.

    BTW
    If you bought the Russiagate hoax, I got news for you. The Russians cannot hope to even hold one candle to the death grip the IAPAC has on the throat of our electoral democracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "IAPAC"? I googled it, Bob, but none of the suggestions seem to work for the statement you make about it:

      International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care

      Independent Allergists Political Action Committee

      Indian American Political Advocacy Council

      International Association of Providers of AIDS Care

      Indian American Political Awareness Committee

      International Association of Physicians for AIDS Care

      Iranian American Political Action Committee

      Delete
  4. It should be AIPAC American Israeli Political Action committee. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My bad.

    They dominate ALL political activity in this country. If anyone goes against any aspect of Israel's activity he/she rarely gets elected. And if elected they don't last long when all their funding dries up. I know of a candidate for the local state House of Representatives here in Missouri who refused the sign the pledge and was roundly defeated. This goes on in every ward, every districe, and every state in this country. That's why I reserve my most scornful laughs for those outraged by the accusations of Trump Collusion with Russia. Nothing like Israel. Not even close.

    ReplyDelete