Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, August 9, 2020

All Over the Place:
Sliding into Second

—Will We Ever Have the Baseball Feeling Again?

By Michael H. Brownstein



The bases not loaded, but could be,
our best hitter coming to bat,
not fourth in the lineup I don’t know why
but seventh, and today two men on
and we can do this – the sun a lemon rind,
the clouds a willow wisp of breeze –

the perfect day for a perfect play
and now he swings, connects,
and I am off as soon as I hear the crack,
but the shortstop snags it,
his throw to first unerring,
and now the throw to second base
quick as light, but I feel quicker,
hear the ball smack his mitt,
the dust rise from his move to the base,
the sound of me slipping under his reach,
and then a billow of everything,
cheers and chaos, dirt and debris
and the umpire shouting way too loud:
You’rrre ooout! But it’s still a perfect day.


Copyright © 2020 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s volumes of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else and How Do We Create Love?, were published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018 & 2019, respectively.

4 comments:

  1. Michael, I’m amazed that, amongst all of your other current concerns, you can detach yourself sufficiently to write a light-hearted poem like this, which I assume is current and not from a distant archive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, the poem’s title subtly alludes to our time’s definitely not being one of light-hearted games. So...I amend my comment: the poem isn’t light-hearted at all, but deeply ironic. Unless it was written years ago (as light-hearted) and retitled now in a lower register?

      Delete
  2. Last year the local baseball field was under water. Didn't think it would recover. Now it's up and running--and my town is in the middle of a Covid 19 nightmare--I believe we broke the county record two days in a row.

    Oh, for another chance to slide into a base--but this time get called safe.

    Baseball with face masks and no audience. I can't think it feels the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That feeling. For me it was playing ball in the street, '500' we called it, catch a fly ball 100 points, a grounder 50, get to 500 first you're at bat. Something I could excel at in the dominance-powered, testosterone-drenched competitiveness of boys slowly turning into men, somewhat like American Werewolf in London in slow motion, "Bad Moon Risin'" by Creedence playing in the background. I know I will never have that feeling again; I sincerely hope, Michael, that YOU do!

    ReplyDelete