Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, March 26, 2023

All Over the Place:
“What Do You Need…” & “Hike”
from The Katy Trail...

By Michael H. Brownstein

What Do You Need When You Walk
Forty Miles in + 100 Degree Heat


water

lines of cloud

a blue-gray sky like old skin

an understanding of things that set us on fire


Hike

I cannot do this alone, but I do,
the hand a marvel of muscle, skin, bone and tendon.
Spread out your fingers ten times and you are probably not autistic.
Make a fist you cannot let go and you probably are.
Everyone has debt.
Even an infant owes its mother for each liter of breast milk.
It’s a hard debt to pay, but it’s doable.
Like a forced march through the slime of day,
somehow it must be done,
and so I walk on, one step at a time, my feet salt and brine,
my hands working themselves into an Aspergers moment.
This too is debt.
When I am finished, I will have one less bill to pay.

Copyright © 2013, 2023 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s volumes of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else and How Do We Create Love?, were published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018 & 2019, respectively.

3 comments:

  1. Michael, my wife's sister-in-law in San Juan Bautista, California, swears by Jim Ostdick, the author of Palomino Nation: My 2016 Crazyass Walk Across America (Amazon). Jim was her good neighbor and friend before his untimely, recent death. On the back cover of Palomino Nation, he says:

    In 2016, I celebrated my 65th year on Planet Earth by walking 3,322 miles from Cape Henlopen, Delaware to Point Reyes, California. I met some of the kindest, most generous, and funniest people in the country along the way. I saw and felt firsthand the amazingly diverse American landscape. Plus I got an intense crash course in the history of the Old West reach across America.
        I learned a lot on this trip about myself, my continent, and my culture. Come with me to see what it‘s like to experience America at three miles per hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, a high line of “Hike” is “Everyone has debt.” We owe something back for everything we’re thankful for, and attempts to evade our debts by shirking thankfulness lead to a barren, desolate life. My life has been enriched by the mountain of debt I have owed to pay back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When in doubt, take walk in the woods and revigorate who you might be, who you are.

    ReplyDelete