Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, July 15, 2023

Bibliophile (a sonnet)

By Eric Meub

I like it when you’re looking into Pope:
His was an age of rhymed enlightenments.
The Essays and Epistles give me hope
We’ll make a couplet of our common sense.

Lord Byron, though, would have your lover drawn
More like a rugged, weather-beaten Giaour.
And really, did they ever get it on,
Or was it only talk? Give me an hour.

But when you’re reading Browning, that’s the best:
If I’m the Ghibelline, then you’re the Guelph.
Come lay your head upon Sordello’s chest,
Unlace his upper hose and help yourself.

My God, but poetry’s a wondrous art!
Just pick a verse: I’ll gladly do my part.


Copyright © 2023 by Eric Meub
Eric Meub is a California poet & architect.

4 comments:

  1. Eric, you do your part so perfectly, I’m telling every friend and cousin I see today to read “Bibliophile”! Your profuse creativity is beyond human comprehension. My limerick yesterday underwent over 20 draftings, but I’m retired, with time on my hands, and you’re a heavily occupied architect….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I commented yesterday morning that “I’m retired,” only hours before I decided to REALLY retire, not only from my job as a paid employee, but also from my self-imposed job as a blogger. Posts already scheduled will of course be published as scheduled, and I have invited each staff member and a few other contributors to submit some words of farewell and reminiscence if they have any they want to share. Submissions will be posted among Moristotle & Co.’s final offerings. Farewell reminiscences need to be submitted to me before the end of July.

      Delete
  2. As always, Morris, you are too kind. Share that limerick, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it is, Eric, published Friday:
      That little girl is often in a pout,
      No one can figure what it’s all about;
        One moment she’s jocose,
        The next she is morose.
      Just wait, you’ll see her lower lip push out.

      Delete