Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, July 12, 2020

All Over the Place:
The Sound of Fear
Late in the Midnight Hour

By Michael H. Brownstein












We talk about everything I don’t want to talk about, and that is enough.
Quiet sings from beyond widowed walls
and earth does expose children gone to pieces.
It’s just that machine-guns really are that loud
and there really is intrinsic value to pain.
My daughter asks if blood washes vegetation,
if words can come from soil when it rains.
I’m afraid I do not know if I will ever understand the answer.


Copyright © 2020 by Michael H. Brownstein
Michael H. Brownstein’s volumes of poetry, A Slipknot Into Somewhere Else and How Do We Create Love?, were published by Cholla Needles Press in 2018 & 2019, respectively.

3 comments:

  1. Michael, I wish I had something worthy to post that would do justice to your poem, but the best I have to say is: profound, thought provoking, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so frighteningly prophetic, particularly to any parent. Could WE deal with being in a war zone with our children? News flash: It's happening right now, real time, as we speak. The world over. Michael brings it home as only a master messenger can, and shoves it rather uncomfortably through our little mental mail slots, where it sits making a mess on the floor whether we like it or not. Well done sir.

    ReplyDelete