Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Turtle on the Rocks

By Blake Adamson

On the river rock I wake
the mist from the rage on my eyelids
From the warmth I stretch my legs
and raise my head


The torrent around me streams and shakes
But today I will go, even if unbid
Today I sink or swim
And I move from my bed


With every step, I feel my back ache
The water looks deep and acrid
The shore looks far
I slow my tread

My knees begin to quake
to a stop I skid
The weather looks bad
I won’t go where I said

It’s more than I can take
I know that I’ve backslid
One last look at the rapids
and I crawl back to my bed


Copyright © 2020 by Blake Adamson
Blake Adamson is an aspiring writer who has written for fanzine blogs and maintains fandom-related blogs on both Tumblr and Archive of Our Own. He currently lives in Jefferson City, Missouri, with his family while trying to complete a novel or novella-length story, a feat which he compares to passing kidney stones.

3 comments:

  1. Blake, thank you for this imaginative analog for a highly personal situation. And thanks for the surprising rhyme scheme, which I didn't recognize right off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I hope to send some more work in the future.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for another excellent poem. Great imagery and a great use of the extended metaphor, Bravo!

    ReplyDelete