Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle” (07/31/2023) tells how to access our
archives of art, poems, stories, serials, interviews, travelogues….

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Turtle on the Rocks

By Blake Adamson

On the river rock I wake
the mist from the rage on my eyelids
From the warmth I stretch my legs
and raise my head


The torrent around me streams and shakes
But today I will go, even if unbid
Today I sink or swim
And I move from my bed


With every step, I feel my back ache
The water looks deep and acrid
The shore looks far
I slow my tread

My knees begin to quake
to a stop I skid
The weather looks bad
I won’t go where I said

It’s more than I can take
I know that I’ve backslid
One last look at the rapids
and I crawl back to my bed


Copyright © 2020 by Blake Adamson
Blake Adamson is an aspiring writer who has written for fanzine blogs and maintains fandom-related blogs on both Tumblr and Archive of Our Own. He currently lives in Jefferson City, Missouri, with his family while trying to complete a novel or novella-length story, a feat which he compares to passing kidney stones.

3 comments:

  1. Blake, thank you for this imaginative analog for a highly personal situation. And thanks for the surprising rhyme scheme, which I didn't recognize right off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I hope to send some more work in the future.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for another excellent poem. Great imagery and a great use of the extended metaphor, Bravo!

    ReplyDelete