Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Highways and Byways: The Finale
& Farewell to Moristotle & Co.

By Maik Strosahl

I wanted to go out with a bang, but was struggling for a big idea until an old family friend posted a photo of Twelve Apostles or Walking Iris flowers blooming. What a joyful explosion of color!
Photo by Mary Wingard Crain

    I hope you enjoy this final burst and I will see you around this big, bright, beautiful world!


The Finale

And the final shells
contained the twelve,
apostles launched
into powdered clouds,
exploding with a
sparkled boom,
proclaiming the
good news—
freedom wafting
across the sky,
all eyes rising,
gleaming at the light
streaking down,
flaming out,
the blessing poured out
upon the gathered masses
folding up chairs,
herding the children
to the cars,
to their homes,
into their beds,
where they will dream
of flowers that
burst in the heavens.

Farewell to Moristotle & Co.

I feel I came late to the table here, but there has been so much at that buffet to feed a creative soul—how could one not grow in association?
    Michael Brownstein and Bob Boldt had been trying to get me to send some of my work in for a while before I finally had downtime due to some knee surgery in 2020.
    I was just looking for a new venue to share when I first submitted something, but Moristotle’s invite to send something weekly was the kick in the pants I needed to push myself and those preambles I will admit were tougher to write than the poems.
    If you don’t grow, you whither, and this association of writers allowed me to thrive. Yes, I published some older pieces, but most were created with the intent that they would be shared here.
    To those who allowed me to take their posts as fodder for even more creation, thank you! Some of my favorites were inspired by Billy Charles Duvall’s creations:“Death of the Aerialist”; by a comment: “The Giant’s Unmade Bed”; by a painting by Shirley Deane/Midyett: “The Noisy Outback" and "Poinciana.” I feel a small man in the land of giants. Thank everyone for their camaraderie!
    And to our leader, who has helped me so much with his editing skills, his email prompts, his openness to try just about anything that pushed creativity, a massive thank you for the back and forth conversations, the advice, and the friendship that I know will continue.
    I wish Moristotle joy in his continuing creative endeavors, time to share with his family and his friends, and the peace to enjoy it all. Happy Retirement, my friend!


Copyright © 2023 by Michael E. (Maik) Strosahl
Maik was born and raised in Moline, Illinois, and has written poetry since youth. After moving to Indiana and daring to participate in a poetry reading, he joined its poetry society and began his search for the state’s local groups, occasionally starting groups in communities where he found none. In 2018, he relocated to Jefferson City, Missouri, and in July 2023 returned to his roots in the Quad Cities, where he continues to search for kindred spirits to inspire and draw energy from.

1 comment:

  1. I will miss your always-unique perspectives, ways of looking at things I would never have considered. I share your feeling of being a Lilliputian in the land of giants. Bob Boldt also introduced me to moristotle, and for that I will always be thankful. I have said before that Michael Brownstein should at least be the poet laurate of Missouri, if not the nation. Beside such lights as he, Eric Mueb, Susan Price and a host of others, I am just grateful to be included in such company! Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete