Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Fourth Saturday's Loneliest Liberal: Our need for centripetal force

By James Knudsen

It’s late and I’m facing a deadline. I can’t blame writer’s block, I don’t lack for ideas. If anything, I feel like John Travolta in Phenomenon where his character has so many ideas that picking one is the problem. For instance, I think I know the cause of many of our problems with guns. Or how ’bout this one—a compare and contrast of the artistic model versus the capitalistic model? As a last resort I could just go on an extended rant, like the one I posted on Facebook last night, regarding the mendacity of conservative opinion makers of the lower biological orders. Motomynd’s taste in cars...too easy.
    Last month I began with a bit of biographical trivia to help get things going and that seems like a good idea again. Fun Fact #7: My paternal grandfather was a physicist. I mention that because he would have known the definition of the word I suddenly found floating around the hemispheres of my brain last night—centripetal. I had to look it up but it was the correct word. Centripetal, to bring to the center, the antonym of centrifugal, to fling outward. I think we need some centripetal force in society to counterbalance what I see as too much centrifugal force.
    Plenty has been written about the polarizing politics in our bicameral legislature in Washington, D.C. and there are far better minds out there to explain why it has happened and whether the cause is anything akin to centrifugal force. I’m more concerned with what I encounter in my daily life. And as I am an actor and everything is about me, how is this manifesting itself in...me?
    Demographers have been noting the self-selecting process going on in where we choose to live—among those who are like us. The proliferation of electronic media means that we may choose to view shows more closely tailored to our specific tastes. The days of three networks and the attendant lack of choice—sit-com, hour-long crime drama, or Monday Night Football—are gone. But so with them has gone the common touchstone of the water-cooler...sorry Starbuck’s...oops, Facebook. Twitter? And forget those last two. Ever since the novelty wore off Farmville in early 2010, Facebook’s importance in my life has dropped precipitously, and I still haven’t figured out how to “tweet.”
    Let me add here that there may be no story there. But I think there is. I think we’ll see that this is like climate change; we know it’s happening, we don’t know what to do about it, and we have no way of knowing if will even matter over time. But make no mistake, there are real consequences to this.
    I have not and will not be listening to Ted Nugent or Hank Williams, Jr., or Morrissey. (Ted was interviewed by the Secret Service last year for inflammatory remarks about the President. Hank Jr. was fired from Monday Night Football for his rants. Morrissey is an iconic British rocker/alternative singer/songwriter who refused to appear on the same broadcast of a late night talk show with the guys from Duck Dynasty.) Truth be told, I never listened to Morrissey, but the other two were a guilty pleasure of my youth. But no more, the views of both the Motor City draft-dodger and Bocephus are just too lowest-common-denominator. And where does it end? Is this self-perpetuating? Are the reactions to each action becoming correspondingly more extreme? Is there a self-correcting feature? For instance, with more people becoming vegan will there be a reactionary sect that becomes strict carnivores or will really good mac ‘n’ cheese be the side dish they can’t put aside?
    Separating ourselves from each other may just be part of our DNA. But it was that part of our DNA that allowed us to communicate, to become communities, that required us to be social, that led to humans dominating the planet. That need to bond, to band together was the centripetal force that allowed us to flourish, to create, and to conquer. I worry for the human race if it is lost. It may be that our fascination with our smart phones is slowly eroding that which makes us human and then the robots will convince us that they deserve the vote just as the aliens start landing their inter-galactic craft to harvest us for our meat...wow, it’s really late. I better get some sleep. See you next month.
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by James Knudsen

Please comment

15 comments:

  1. James, not being a physicist, I don't know the exact words which I am seeking. Nice piece...metaphysically speaking?

    If everyone followed my taste in cars, they would only have to look for a new vehicle every 20 years or so. And they could fuel it those 20 years on reclaimed vegetable oil rather than liquified dinosaurs. Think of all the savings in time, money, and resources. Leaving humans with more time to figure out how to dominate the planet in a positive fashion. And giving us chunks of stout steel - very, very stout steel, no physicist-inspired aerodynamically shaped plastics and polymers that a death ray would slice through unimpeded - to use as weapons when the alien craft start landing.

    Or would we be landing there, taking down the aliens on their own planet? Thanks to all the research aimed at the cosmos rather than figuring out how to add yet another airbag to protect riders in flimsily built vehicles, instead of one designed with the sturdiness - and minimalist artistic flair - of an over-sized refrigerator on four wheels?

    For the record, James and I were not at the same party when he wrote his column and I thought out my comment. Although I was driving around his home state about the time he may have been dreaming up his column, and there was a full moon and a strange haze laying thick on the water in the mornings. Which - in a metaphysical sort of way - may, or may not, explain why these ramblings seem to be trying to get to some murky center, but instead seem to be spinning hopelessly out of control and flying ever outward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motomynd, if lumbering luddites like me weren't driving around in fossil fueled Fords, Fiats and Farmans you Volvo vectoring vegans would have nothing left to eat. More to the point, you did use the word "taste."
      Taste implies a certain aesthetic. A concern for shapes and forms that are pleasing to the senses. And as the dyed in the wool gearhead with Sunoco 102 coursing through your veins that I assume you to be, you must rejoice at engineering that inspires as opposed to merely enduring.
      Now, I should point out that I was brought home from the hospital in an alien craft- a Citroen DS19 to be exact. And while the D-series' production run of 20 years cannot match the 140/240 run of 27 years, it should be pointed out that a 1956 DS is still 27 years- light years, ahead of where the was Volvo at the end of its run in 1993.
      This should in no way be taken to mean that I feel there is no place in this world for the sturdy, steel and stalwart 240. The all Imperial Demolition Derby would be a most interesting venue.

      Delete
    2. James, due to your apparent utter lack of knowledge in perfect examples of minimalist design, I am inclined to dismiss your "Swedish Brick" bashing as heresy unworthy of a response. However, as you are by some miracle aware of the Farman I will give you benefit of the doubt and grant you a considered response. Or did you just Google "cars that start with F" to find something to follow Ford and Fiat?

      Speaking of, does your Ford have fins, and do they still put bench seats in them? And do consider them as fulfilling that "certain aesthetic" of which you speak? As for the Fiat, oh my. I am being careful not to put aesthetic in the same sentence or the blog may implode. Do you have a Fiat and does it at least have the latest high-tech theft-proof technology? You know, the new, much larger logo so no one, not even someone desperate beyond reason, can miss the word FIAT.

      To enlighten you, minimalism, as defined by a sturdy dictionary of Volvo-worthy design, not one of those fragile, miniature booklets that require a magnifier: 1. A school of abstract painting and sculpture that emphasizes extreme simplification of form, as by the use of basic shapes and monochromatic palettes of primary colors, objectivity, and anonymity of style.
      2. Use of the fewest and barest essentials or elements, as in the arts, literature, or design.

      To contrast the minimalistic brilliance of the Volvo with the Citroen (gasp!) that you mention, think of the Volvo as a rugged, reliable vehicle for life designed by engineers whose ancestors sailed small boats all over the North Atlantic and brought back gold, silver and beautiful women eager to travel with them. And the Citroen as a car designed by the ugly, angry wives of engineers, while their husbands were out running around with mistresses who are the descendants of women so unappealing the Vikings would not let them on their ships. And remember, the Volvo 240 not only had a seven years' longer production run than the Citroen (gasp!) - the 240s were actually running when they left the factories.

      You are correct that a suitable last stand before Valhalla would be for a 240 to die in battle, the inevitable victim of being hopelessly outnumbered. Even a good and noble Viking can stand only so long against impossible odds. There is also a perfect final resting place for a Citroen: planted firmly in solid ground at a 45-degree angle, and left for its paint to flake away (which should take about a week), so the unwashed who are easy prey for such can pay their dollar and walk around it wondering if it really is a crash-landed alien spacecraft.

      Delete
    3. I am NEVER going to hear the end of this one...

      http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/3-millionth-mile-irv-gordon-66-volvo-p1800-195116553.html

      Delete
    4. Three awards due on this: one for the car lasting that long, one for Gordon being able to sit in it for three millions miles, and one for you James, for showing respect for the continuing supremacy of Viking design over French theory.

      As a dealer in "collectible" Volvos - yes, James, an oxymoron, I realize - I loved the look of the P1800 and aspired to own and drive one. So I tried a few. The driving experience was...well...painful. The car is sadly underpowered, but on the bright side that at least keeps the lack of handling - and brakes - from being that noticeable. As for comfort, well, there is apparently not a Swedish word for that. How Gordon has managed this three-million-mile achievement is beyond me, for I felt auras of numbness radiating from back and butt after barely 30 minutes behind the wheel.

      Back to my suggestion in a previous post: Duplicate this http://www.mycarforum.com/uploads/monthly_01_2012/blogentry-98301-1325607294.jpg with Citroens and I really think some people could be duped into paying to "see the crashed space ships."

      Delete
  2. Sounds to me like you two found the good s---! I do enjoy an intellectual discussion, where I have no idea idea what is going. I'll go drop some Sunshine 25 and be right back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Konotahe, isn't 25 a rather low SPF? I thought the dermatologists were pushing SPF 50 these days, especially for locations near the equator.

    Apologies in advance that I will be missing the back and forth the next couple of days while I am off to a photo assignment. Since he started this, I will leave it to James to hopefully translate for all. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wrong kind of Sunshine--Moto. And you want to live in Cali?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Konatahe, speaking of not understanding the Cali dialect, a question for you. When I am out there hanging out in writer/photographer circles on the beach - sometimes literally on the beach, sitting in a circle, often with artsy types with hair and beards much longer than mine - why do some of them so rudely keep offering me hash when they know I'm a vegan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As editor in chief of this blog, I am of course proud and delighted that some of the funniest humor writing in America appears right here in comments. Moristotle & Co. has The New Yorker looking back over its shoulder, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it was vegetable hash they were offering.
    I've noticed vegans seem to have a very retentive rectum. You need to see the world through the "Purple Haze" at least once in your life. I'm waiting to see how the flavor of your writing changes after a year of contact highs.
    Try listening to more of the "Doors" before you make the move it will give you the sense of what Cali.is all about.
    PS I did think it was a good joke.(smile)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probably depends on if the vegan comes from down on the farm stock, or the mythical realm of effete intellectuals. No retention with me, plenty of fiber. Have you tried adding any vegetable hash to your ham sandwiches to see what it does for you?

    Being a bit younger, and from the East Coast, the life you caught a lot of firsthand, is one I know mostly from music and movies. You actually lived the upside of it, so you have that perspective. By the time I was old enough to partake, I saw the downside of it killing way too many people way too young, so I have that perspective. Jim Morrison and Hendrix died when I was barely in high school, for example, so all I've ever thought of that lifestyle is it took away a lot of talent with many miles left in it.

    Because I found actually doing "purple haze" and its close cousins too boring to try more than a couple of times, I didn't think much of the movies of the era. Being objective, doesn't even "Easy Rider" seem lame if you watch it straight? As for the music, I thought some of it was great back then, and I still like some of it now. Even though Dylan wrote it, I think of "All Along the Watchtower" as the best Hendrix did, and it is still a favorite today.

    When I worked in Cali in a younger day, the pace of the LA crowd made New York look like Mayberry. When I get back there this time, I hope it is a lot faster than where I am now, but a lot slower than it was then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason for the removal of Konotahe's 11:30 a.m. comment is a good one, as will become clear to some in the fullness of time.

      Delete
    2. The reason is that I asked Konotahe to develop his comment into an article for publication soon.

      Delete