Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ask Wednesday: Two Morrises on one of them’s being named after the other

Stand-in for Nephew Morris,
who wrote:
“unk mo i would rather
not be pictured”
Uncle Mo
How did the naming go down?

William Morris Dean here. My sister who lives in Arkansas surprised and amazed me back in March 1966 when she named her third son Morris Dean [Story].
     Morris had been the first name of our mother’s father, Morris Voss. That is, I had been named after him, and also named after my father’s father, William Dean.

    I was amazed to have someone named after me because I was only twenty-three and hadn’t accomplished anything yet, and might never. I had just proposed to my wife-to-be, and I suppose that to get married was some sort of accomplishment—or at any rate staying married as long as I have (47 years next month).
    And, over those years, things happened, and I made up some notions about how my nephew felt about being named after his maternal uncle.


morris dean story here. so, unk mo got this idea that we should interview each other about the naming, how we felt about it, and so on [we write different. you can tell whos who]

[And questions are set in italics.]

why were you amazed?
    I just didn’t think it was appropriate. I wondered, What is that boy’s mother thinking? And how is my nephew going to feel about it?

how did you think i felt about it?
    I thought it would bewilder you. I knew that your parents weren’t going to be able to give you good reasons for it...unless maybe they told you that they hadn’t named you after me at all, but after the maternal grandfather and the paternal family name.

DID they tell you they hadn’t really named you after ME?
    no i knew the whole time i was named after a well learned man my uncle morris, and a dude without a shallow mind (neither of us believe the religion con)

Then, sometime in the seventies, I learned that you were being called Sam. Okay, I thought, that proves it. He really hated being named after me. I was right, right?
    nope. i have no problem with the name morris, actually i wish i was called morris because it is unique, i dont like ordinary names

[Speechless]

why did you jump to the conclusion that i didnt like it? there could have been other reasons, couldnt there?
    Well, in retrospect, of course. I suppose that I was jumping to conclusions.

so, what did you think when i started using morris again, after i got out of school?
    That just confused me. Had I been given a reprieve? Had I accomplished something in the meantime? I didn’t know what to think.

You said there could have been other reasons. Okay. What WAS the reason you started going by “Sam”?

    my name was changed in the fourth grade. the reason was the morris the cat commercials, and people getting the shit beat out of them for calling me morris the cat. the principle caught me bashing a kid into a locker @ skool and the next day my name was sam

Why Sam?
    after pa’s best friend

Morris the Cat’s the reason you stopped using Morris?
    that is the only reason my name was changed. now so many peeps know me as sam that it is impossible to get back to morris although i have a couple of old friends that do still call me morris

[Speechless]


didn’t you read my google+ about?
    No....

...What does your Google+ about say about your name?
    it says Morris Story (real name) prowdly named after Morris Dean [The uppercase letters do appear in Morris Story's Google+ about.]

May I call you Morris now?
    of course
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Morris Dean and Morris Story

Please comment

10 comments:

  1. Yes Sam has stuck over the years but I did change it a little and started calling him Sammo for Sam Morris. I'll try to revert back to Morris Lil' Bro if you want me to ! I have to mention both of us younger siblings were named for family members and the older 2 have first names only and I'm not even sure were their names came from. Thanks you 2 Mo's ! I'm sure glad I have both of you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT's an interesting family Story! (pun discovered only upon writing that :) Dawn, love the Sammo variation - how do you feel about that one, Morris (Sam)? I don't remember ever calling you Morris the Cat, but I do remember being a generally cousin when we met about 40 years ago, when being slightly younger than you felt like being a LOT younger than you! Apologies, and I hope I'm a LOT LESS annoying now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *generally annoying* (note to self - preview your comments)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I sure do not find you annoying Cousin Neophyte. Would be great to see you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elder Morris: I greatly respect your knowledge and ability to use big words in long sentences. And your latent attempt to use less parenthetical inserts.

    Younger Morris: I greatly respect your youthful instincts and ability to bash classmates into lockers to make them stop picking on you, instead of resorting to long-winded and most likely ineffective attempts at reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motomynd, don't you mean FEWER parenthetical inserts?
          YES, wasn't young Morris Story great in responding to bullies by "beating the shit" out of them? If I myself was teased about "Morris" (on some pre-"Morris the Cat" pretext), I have no memory of it, which tends to indicate that, if I WAS teased, I sucked it up...and then likely repressed the unhappy memory. I'm sure that if'd beaten up any bullies there might have been, I would remember it!

      Delete
    2. It is no doubt a politically incorrect opinion, but I am convinced the reason we have so many adult jerks is they learn at a young age they have nothing to fear as a consequence of their actions. Mommy and daddy may have to go to court if they bully someone, and they may have to go to some special after school "remedial" hangout with their buddies, but other than that, no direct consequences.

      I wonder how many fewer (not less, thank you for the grammar tip, above) thoughtless and corrupt adults we would have to deal with if everyone learned by age 12 that the price of being a jerk was to be punched in the nose or pounded to the floor in front of their classmates. Losing the use of their computer for a week may or may not get the attention of a teen who has already developed an attitude of arrogance and meanness. A broken nose and the pain that comes with it is impossible to ignore.

      Delete
    3. Motomynd, I wonder too, and I think you have an excellent point here—as you often do on many other things! Keep writing and commenting, my good brother!

      Delete
  6. Morris Story, There was a question I thought of too late to get it included in the interview. I hope you can answer it in a comment here:

    Looking back on being called "Morris the Cat" in school, do you regard that as bullying? There has been a lot about bullying in the news for several years. What do you think about bullying now? What advice do you have for children or bullied, for their parents, for schools. What's on your mind about this?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morris Story, one other question I wish I'd asked in time:

    As you know, I'm partial to poodles. But you seem to really love cats, and you have several cat photos on your Google+ pages. I feel so much more comfortable and at-home with dogs myself. How do you feel about dogs? And do you think your love of cats is connected to the Morris the Cat thing in school? If not, why DO you love cats so much?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete