Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Review: The Elegance of the Hedgehog (a book)

Hedgehogs found out

By Morris Dean

The central, narrating character of Muriel Barbery's 2006 novel The Elegance of the Hedgehog [in French: L'Elegance du Herisson, translated into English by Alison Anderson] is Renée Michel:


I am fifty-four years old. For twenty-seven I have been the concierge at number 7, rue de Grenelle [in Paris], a fine hôtel particulier with a courtyard and private gardens, divided into eight luxury apartments, all of which are inhabited, all of which are immense. I am a widow, I am short, ugly, and plump, I have bunions on my feet and, if I am to credit certain early mornings of self-inflected disgust, the breath of a mammoth. I did not go to college, I have always been poor, discreet, and insignificant. I live alone with my cat....[p. 19]
    But, being the hedgehog heralded by the title—one of them, anyway—she is also widely read, loves all kinds of music and movies, and is deeply philosophical, all of which she has successfully hidden from the residents.

The central, narrating character of the movie based on the book, which I reviewed on December 23, is Paloma Josse, whose family live on the fifth floor.
    In the book, her narrative voice appears in the "Profound Thoughts" and entries from her "Journal of the Movement of the World" that are interspersed among the chapters of Renée's narrative:

...People aim for the stars, and they end up like goldfish in a bowl. I wonder if it wouldn't be simpler just to teach children right from the start that life is absurd....
    I am twelve years old, I live at 7, rue de Grenelle in an apartment for rich people. My parents are rich, my family is rich, and my sister and I are, therefore, as good as rich....
    Despite all that, despite all this good fortune and all this wealth, I have known for a very long time that the final destination is the goldfish bowl. How do I know? Well, the fact is I am very intelligent. Exceptionally intelligent. Even now, if you look at children my age, there's an abyss between us. And since I don't really want to stand out, and since intelligence is very highly rated in my family—an exceptionally gifted child would never have a moment's peace—I try to scale back my performance....
    So I've made up my mind...at the end of the school year, on the day I turn thirteen, June sixteenth, I will commit suicide....[pp. 23-25]
The full name of the other, non-narrating main character of both book and movie is revealed in Paloma's "Profound Thought No. 9":
The gentleman who has bought the Arthens apartment [on the fourth floor] is Japanese! His name is Kakuro Ozu! That's just great; something like this would happen right before I die. Twelve and a half years in a cultural desert and right when it's time to go and pack it in a Japanese gentleman arrives...It really is too unfair. [p. 139]
Mr. Ozu's recognition of the two hedgehogs changes things for both of them, and the precise, careful language in which the story is told explains why readers who love language and serious, philosophical stories have made Barbery's book a bestseller, in both France and the United States. Here's another example, including one of many literary allusions with which the book abounds—from the first chapter of the section titled, naturally, "On Grammar":
This morning Jacinthe Rosen introduced me to the new owner of the Arthens apartment.
    His name is Kakuro Something. I failed to understand properly because Madame Rosen always talks as if she has a cockroach in her mouth and because the elevator door opened at that very moment to let Monsieur Pallière's father out, all cloaked in haughtiness. He greeted us cursorily and hurried off with the jerky stride of a busy captain of industry....
    And now [the new owner] is speaking to me.
    "Were you acquainted with the Arthens? I have heard they were quite an extraordinary family*," he says.
    "No," I reply, on my guard, "I didn't really know them, they were just another family, here."
    "Yes, a happy family," says Madame Rosen, who, visibly, is getting impatient.
    "You know, all happy families are alike," I mutter, to have done with this business, "there's nothing more to it."
    "'Every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way'," he says, giving me an odd look and all of a sudden, even if it's not for the first time, I shudder.
    Yes, I assure you. I shudder—but quite involuntarily. It just happened, there was nothing I could do, I was overwhelmed.
    As misfortunes never travel alone, Leo decides it is time to slip between our legs, rubbing against Monsieur Something on his way.
    "I have two cats," he says. "May I ask your cat's name?"
    "Leo," replies Jacinthe Rosen in my stead then, breaking off our conversation, she hooks her arm under Monsieur Something's and, saying thank you without looking at me, begins to steer him toward the elevator. With infinite tact, he places his hand on her forearm and gently brings her to a halt.
    "Thank you, Madame," he says to me, then allows himself to be led away by his possessive fowl. [pp. 133-135]
    So, Mr. Ozu suspects that the concierge has read Anna Karenina...and maybe Leo was named after its author?
_______________
* The subject of Barbery's first novel apparently. Une Gourmandise is about "the greatest food critic in the world," who just happens to have been Pierre Arthens, whose death in The Elegance of the Hedgehog necessitates the selling of the family's apartment.
Copyright © 2013 by Morris Dean

Please comment

9 comments:

  1. A lovely piece. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morris, another wonderfully written review. As for the book itself, given the introduction you provide, I am amazed at your ability to summon enough interest to not only read it and review it, but to also watch and review a movie based on it. As I have mentioned before, your reviews provide a valuable service in enlightening, and warning, readers and movie watchers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I admit it: I comment under various names and guises, but under all of them I like this review and think I might enjoy both the book and the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polyonymous, I very much agree with you regarding the review. As for the other, how about reading the book and watching the movie and letting us know if you enjoyed them? Personally, I can't imagine anything of less interest, except maybe an autobiography by George W. Bush.

    (btw...Polyonymous is a great alias!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at a local library, where I have a copy of the book in my hands. The first thing I did was to try a bit of augury by picking a passage at random. My finger fell on the sentence, "And on my way home I thought: pity the poor in spirit who know neither the enchantment nor the beauty of language."

      Wow! I think I am going to like this book. My only reservation might be the possible snobbishness implied in that sentence. But I have a similar reservation about your dismissal of the book on what grounds I can't quite detect.

      Delete
  5. To clarify, I dismissed the book based on the logic that if one is going to spend time on a novel, and therefore most likely learn nothing of real value that one might gain from investing equal time in a work of non-fiction, the fictional characters should at least be more interesting than real-life characters, not less interesting. Based on the excerpt used in the review, the main character - to me, at least - sounded uninspired and uninspiring, and therefore not interesting.

    As a writer with more than 1,000 published magazine articles, I hope I have at least a shaky grasp of the beauty of language. Please note that is offered with humor as well as a bit of implied snobbishness, but even at that I really can't imagine wasting hours of one's life on fictional characters who seem bored and boring. If you feel you have those hours to spend, wonderful, indulge! But please be aware that even though you are unaware you may very well be one of those people the rest of us grind our teeth about when we are stuck behind you in line at the post office or grocery store, and you choose to involve the poor hostage clerk in what you regard as witty repartee. That last is not in any way intended as an assault on your wit or character, since I don't know you, just as a general observation based on a very quick character sketch drawn from experiences over the years when I have been trapped in the company of people who are attracted to the type of book and fictional characters you are championing.

    Hopefully you find the book intrigant, not ennuyeux, and hopefully you are as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for attempting to clarify. I think I see where you're coming from: You much prefer non-fiction to fiction and seem to look down on anyone who "wastes their time" reading much fiction.
          I suppose that the many magazine articles you have written were non-fiction--but beautifully written, of course. I read non-fiction as well as fiction and appreciate non-fiction that is well-written and informative. Would you mind identifying, say, the five or ten most beautifully written of your informative articles, what magazines published them, and the name or names they were published under--you may be polyonymous too, for all I know. I'd like to look them up and see whether they're any good. Thank you.
          By the way, I'm not "championing" any particular type of book or fictional characters, even though you seem to be doing the opposite.

      Delete
  6. No, I don't look down on those who waste their time reading much fiction. I just think that if more people spent more time learning about and contributing to the real world rather than seeking entertainment in some imaginary world, the real world would be a much better place. And since we all live in the real world, rather than an imaginary one, we would all be better off.

    Yes, I am more polyonymous than you could begin to imagine, just not here on the blog. My pen name(s) in the editorial realm is/are a well-guarded secret, and shall remain so. If for no other reason than someone might cross-reference and begin to wonder if I have been paid not only for my non-fiction work, but - aghast - for some fiction as well, and that might take much of the fun out of exchanges such as this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for assuring me that you don't look down on me for reading much fiction, but only condemn me for seeking entertainment in an imaginary world and failing to contribute more to making the real world a better place. I feel so much better now!

      Your writing history sounds fascinating. I hope that when you get old enough that disclosures no longer matter to you, you will write a tell-all memoir about your adventurous life! I for one would check it out.

      Full disclosure: I only chose "Polyonymous" as my moniker yesterday because it was the word of the day on this note calendar I have, and I wanted to share this neat new word "with the world." I never expected that you and I might fall into dialogue....

      "The world" does read this blog, right?

      Delete